How to dance at prom girls
How to Dance at PromType keyword(s) to search
Today's Top Stories
A Step-by-Step Guide on Registering to Vote Online
How to Avoid Student Loan Forgiveness Scams
15 True Crime Shows That'll Leave You Shook 😱
How Did Charles Cullen Get Caught?
How to Deal with a Pregnancy Scare
Seventeen picks products that we think you'll love the most. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
Even if you have two left feet.
By Carolyn Twersky
You have spent months picking out the perfect prom dress, styling that just-right hair style, and planning the most over the top promposal your school has ever seen. You are all ready to take prom and completely slay the night. Except, for one little problem...you have NO clue how to dance. You'll look absolutely gorgeous, but you'll be glued to the back of the room all night, too afraid to get on the dance floor and bust a move. Does that sounds like you? Then read on, because I'm about to teach you how to dance at prom, no matter what your skill level.
Before you start getting down, though, just remember that dancing is all about trust. So, don't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. And before you start getting physical with someone of the dance floor, make sure they give their consent first and that everything is appropriate.
If there's one dance everyone is going to be doing at prom, it's probably the Milly Rock. The dance may seem complicated, but once your break it down it's actually pretty easy, just follow these steps:
- Let's start with the arms. Starting with your right arm, keep your elbow close to your body and make a motion almost like you're patting yourself on your front left shoulder, but don't actually hit your shoulder.
- Then, do the same motion with your left arm to your right shoulder.
- When you go back to your right arm, start moving it to your left shoulder, but then stop, almost as if it's a fake out. Then, continue through with the motion. Let's call that move a double.
- You're going to continue with your arms in this pattern: right, left, double right, left, right, double left.
- While you're doing the arms, take the opposite leg of the arm you are using and lift your heel while tracing a small half circle with your toes. Then, when you switch arms, switch legs.
- On the doubles, you're going to do a kind of fake out with your feet where you start to lift your heel, but then you stop, before lowering it back down, lifting it back up and then completing the half circle.
- Put it all together and there you have it! You're doing the Milly Rock!
Find the Beat
Ok, finding the beat may seem super simple, but some people aren't musically inclined and can struggle to get into the rhythm. If this sounds like you, use these steps to help you find the beat, and the dancing will come a little more naturally.
- When you hear a song, start tapping your foot.
- Start counting: 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2.
- While still tapping your foot and counting, start to clap every time you say 2: 1, clap, 1, clap, 1, clap, 1, clap.
- Stop tapping your foot and get your body into it a little more. And there you go, you've found the beat!
If you want to up your slow dance game, try the foxtrot. It's super easy, but it will totally impress your friends on the dance floor. To perfect the dance, just follow these steps:
- The leading partner should step forward two steps. Then, step to the left, and bring your feet together.
- Meanwhile the other partner starts on their left foot, and step backward twice while their partner is moving forward. Then, step to the right, and bring your feet together. So, both partners are doing mirrored motions.
- Now, for arms. The leading partner should have their right hand placed on their partner's back, while the following partner has their right hand on the other's shoulder. And then both partners extend their left arms and hold hands.
- Keeping your arms in position, repeat the feet movements over and over and you're foxtrotting!
Slow dancing seems terrifying, but it's actually super easy. All you need is a partner and a slow song and then just follow these steps:
- Hand placement is completely up to you and your partner. In this video, the man has his right hand on his partner's back left shoulder, while she has her left hand on the top of his right shoulder and their other hands are holding at about waist length. Alternatively, you could do both hands around the neck with your partner's hands on your waist, vice versa, or really whatever feels comfortable.
- The important aspect of this move is the feet. As explained in the video, to master the slow dance, you need to master the step-touch. Basically you are stepping to the left with your left foot, then bringing your right foot to meet it, stepping to the right with your right foot and then bringing your left foot to meet it. Literally repeat this over and over and over again and...BAM! You're slow dancing! Make sure you step to the beat of the music and you'll be good to go.
- If you want to get really fancy (this isn't necessary) you guys can start going in circles together. To do this, simply step at an angle instead of in a straight line. Lead your partner or be lead and you'll be moving magically in a circle!
The 2-step is the perfect dance move because it's so simple and works with a huge range of songs. Once you've mastered the simple move, you can add your own flair to spice it up any way you want.
- Good news! You're doing the exact same foot movements that you do when slow dancing! Meaning, step to the left with your left foot and then step with your right, bringing your feet together. Then, step to the right and bring your feet together. Keep your knees loose and then add whatever arm movements you want!
Are you really feeling the music? Maybe getting down on the dance floor with your date? Here's how to dance with your partner, without getting too up close and personal.
- Stand with one partner in front of the other and bend your knees.
- Both partners start to move their waists in a circular motion.
- One of you can move to the left, one can move to the right, or you can move together.
- There's no reason to touch, you can leave space between you two so it's school appropriate and you feel comfortable.
You've definitely seen everyone dancing like this (even your Fortnite character), so you'll prob see it on the dance floor at prom.
- Bend your left leg and lift it back.
- Jump on your right leg and kick your left leg forward.
- Continue to kick your leg back and forth while you jump.
- Now, it's time for arms, hold them down and while you're kicking your leg, move the arms back and forth with the leg.
- Then, after four pumps, take your left arm and raise it above your head. Pump your arm forward four times as you kick you leg. Then, switch back to having your arms pumping by your legs!
- Keep going, switching between arms, until you tire out.
If you have never heard of the floss, where have you been? If you don't know how to floss, that's more understandable, because it's a little difficult.
- Take your hands and hold them straight down, forming them into fists.
- Pretend like your holding a stick in your hands that is about waist length. Then, pretend like you're breaking that stick by bringing it against your hip.
- Bring your hands (still in the stick-holding formation) all the way back, and then back up, so they are parallel to the floor.
- Shift your hips to the other side and "break the stick" on your other hip.
- Pull your arms back up and parallel to the floor and then continue over and over and over again!
Basically, you can dance however you want, as long as you're having fun. Here's a video that shows off ten different dance moves that will stun on the dance floor.
Carolyn Twersky Associate Editor Carolyn Twersky is an associate editor for Seventeen covering celebrities, entertainment, politics, trends, and health.
50+Quotes That Will Keep You Grateful for Everyday
Best Thanksgiving Instagram Captions 🍗✨
The History of the Transgender Pride Flag
40 Adorable Secret Santa Gifts for the Holidays
200+ Instagram Usernames to Inspire You
Starbucks' Holiday Menu Returning November 3
200 Iconic Instagram Bio Ideas
35 Best Throwback Instagram Captions
105 Awesome Celeb Halloween Costume Ideas
How Old is Too Old To Trick-or-Treat?
guy and girl dancing promTikTok
this girl is my whole world and I’m so happy for her and her mans 🥺 #prom #slowldance #prettygirl #couplegoals #cutecouple #lovestory
TikTok video from TJ (@_devil_girl_666): "this girl is my whole world and I’m so happy for her and her mans 🥺 #prom #slowldance #prettygirl #couplegoals #cutecouple #lovestory". original sound.
original sound - TJ
Prom Night was amazing!! ❤️#fyp #prom #ballgown #boyfriend #dancethenightaway #goviral #trending #coupleslove #viral #relationshipgoals
255.9K Likes, 1.2K Comments. TikTok video from kelli 🤍 (@kellikenna): "Prom Night was amazing!! ❤️#fyp #prom #ballgown #boyfriend #dancethenightaway #goviral #trending #coupleslove #viral #relationshipgoals". Runaway.
Runaway - AURORA
Prom✨#senior2022 #promnight #couple #cute #bluedress #bestnightever #dance #foryoupage
964 Likes, 21 Comments. TikTok video from Soanliz Quintana (@soa_qc04): "Prom✨#senior2022 #promnight #couple #cute #bluedress #bestnightever #dance #foryoupage". Love Story - Speed Version.
Love Story - Speed Version - Indila
THE FLAGSHIP ⚓️
we know we’re on your miiinnnddddd 🕺🏼 #fyp #prom #ComeDanceWithMe #ScreamItOut #promfashion #TurboTaxAndRelax #promfashionshow #ImoniCarly #couple #dance #prom2022 #fypシ
13K Likes, 27 Comments. TikTok video from THE FLAGSHIP ⚓️ (@officialfhsflagship): "we know we’re on your miiinnnddddd 🕺🏼 #fyp #prom #ComeDanceWithMe #ScreamItOut #promfashion #TurboTaxAndRelax #promfashionshow #ImoniCarly #couple #dance #prom2022 #fypシ". Mind Over Matter.
Mind Over Matter - Young the Giant
#girls #boys #dance #prom #CapCut #tristana #dean #gilmoregirls PeAcE!!
TikTok video from Gilmore _girls (@creepyvideos37): "#girls #boys #dance #prom #CapCut #tristana #dean #gilmoregirls PeAcE!!". . . original sound.
original sound - Gilmore _girls
Man dem can dance ....#dance #foryou #fypシ #tiktok #boys #girls #teenzcrownshow #prom @Mafmahany #talentotiktok #talentotiktok #highschool
TikTok video from teenzcrownshow (@teenzcrownshow): "Man dem can dance . ...#dance #foryou #fypシ #tiktok #boys #girls #teenzcrownshow #prom @Mafmahany #talentotiktok #talentotiktok #highschool". it's the entrance for me😀🤗. Holy Father.
Holy Father - Mayorkun & Victony
#hearttouching #heartwarming #wholesome #dance #prom #homecoming #CowboyBebop #Sing2gether #fyp #fypシ
33.1K Likes, 2K Comments. TikTok video from Erin (@infamouserinn): "#hearttouching #heartwarming#wholesome#dance #prom #homecoming #CowboyBebop #Sing2gether #fyp #fypシ". He took her to the dance even though she had a disability 😁. Easy On Me.
Easy On Me - Adele
💗 Lissy 💗
Love Story🌹#lovestory #indila #lovestorychallenge #dance #trend #prom #prom2022 #gf #bf #Photography #ClassicalMusic #DIY #couplegoals #princess #promdress #gentleman #fyp #foryoupage
1. 9K Likes, 17 Comments. TikTok video from 💗 Lissy 💗 (@lissypromo): "Love Story🌹#lovestory #indila #lovestorychallenge #dance #trend #prom #prom2022 #gf #bf #Photography #ClassicalMusic #DIY #couplegoals #princess #promdress #gentleman #fyp #foryoupage". Love Story.
Love Story - Indila
they understood the assignment 👌 #lawrance #stlawrence #st #prom #girls #boys #foryou #dance #teenzcrownshow
TikTok video from teenzcrownshow (@teenzcrownshow): "they understood the assignment 👌 #lawrance #stlawrence #st #prom #girls #boys #foryou #dance #teenzcrownshow". For My Hand (feat. Ed Sheeran).
For My Hand (feat. Ed Sheeran) - Burna Boy90,000 Prom dance with a girl.
Prom dance …
Last - Removing
I also had few guys, I also had few guys on graduation therefore, the girls who "didn't have enough" agreed with the boys from other classes or approached the class teacher with this question and there they already went to look for guys at 10 and 9classes.
Sea buckthorn tea
I had a similar situation. The partner left a month before the waltz, they wanted to put me with a girl. I made a scandal. Well, the waltz is not for two girls :( Looks ugly
New topics per day:
It seems that classmate is strange
I drank hormones, but menstruation did not come
Fell in love. What to do?
How did your body look like when you were 15?
I love a boy 3 years younger than me
How does the guy like it?
Tell me what to do with daughter
How to lie to a child for the benefit of
What percentage of girls have boyfriends?
1 1 1 answer
Popular topics per day:
Tell me what to do with my daughter
What did your figure look like at 15?
I love a boy 3 years younger than me
Fell in love.What to do?
My brother has got me
The classmate seems strange
Daughter doesn't want to learn German.
Korean idols give a "Example of beauty" Teenage girl
Graduation Party is an event that graduates of all schools look forward to. Behind the school years, and ahead of adulthood and a new life. All students are anxious and tender about this process. Preparation for it begins long before the start. Girls sew dresses, trying to come up with something original to amaze everyone around. The guys are not too violent in their approach to preparation, but still pay attention to it.
Each graduation ball is held according to a certain scenario, where many competitions and traditional dances are held. Often at such an event they choose the king and queen of the ball. There is also a dance competition in which all graduates take part. How to choose a girl to dance at the prom?
Choosing a princess
Usually people study together from the first grade, and over the years they get to know each other very well. All habits, some hobbies, everyone knows a lot of information about a classmate. It happens that a guy in his last school years begins to like this or that classmate. But this is the age when shyness still plays a role. Not always a guy can muster up the courage and admit it. A prom can be a great occasion by inviting her to a dance, thereby expressing your attention and some feelings.
Rules of etiquette
In our society, there are certain rules of etiquette that should be observed when inviting a girl to dance. Graduation ball is a small fairy tale, after graduation, which each graduate will go his own way of life. A lot can be decided this evening, it happens that people start dating after this ball and then spend long and happy years of marriage. At one moment your fate can be decided, no one is immune from love and feelings.
Now we need to consider some rules of etiquette that will help to strike the girl on the spot.
Invite a girl to a dance
Almost any guy is embarrassed to ask for a dance. Let him be a decisive and successful boy in life, who can easily come up with many subjects, or he is passionate about sports, where he succeeds, at this moment he is still shy. Firstly, there are always a lot of people at the prom, and secondly, all the girls are usually surrounded by their girlfriends.
But if you're left alone with shyness, you won't be able to ask her to dance. There are a lot of guys around, maybe not so much successful, but more determined, who will not miss the moment to choose a partner for the dance. You can stand all evening on the sidelines, or you can decide and go and invite a beautiful girl.
The fact is that no matter how the girl portrays indifference, in her heart she dreams of this invitation. Everyone hopes and believes. That she will now be chosen as a dance partner. The whole problem is in the guy, because he makes his choice, with the exception of the white dance, when the choice is given to the girl.
After you have already approached with an invitation, be confident, but not impudent. Girls love these guys, but they don't want to see an impudent boor nearby. There is always a line between perseverance and arrogance. At this point, make it clear that her refusal may hurt and disappoint you. But of course you don't have to beg the girl. A firm position is much more beneficial than simple pressure.
No need to mumble, stutter or shout in front of the whole room. You need to calmly express the invitation in an even voice. The words must be heard clearly and distinctly. Do not use too long phrases in a noisy room, they can simply not be heard. A short phrase “I can invite you” can sometimes say more than long chants. At the same time, do not try to play indifference, then the girl will definitely refuse you, she will just think that you don’t care who you dance with.
Parents often stay at the prom. This fact can confuse anyone. If the girl is in their environment, then you should come up and say hello to them first. And only then go to the invitation to the dance of the girl herself. You can also turn to parents with such a question “let me invite your daughter to dance”, this will make it possible to remain without refusal.
Also girls are often surrounded by their girlfriends. They spend graduation party with close companies. Having approached the whole circle, it is necessary to greet everyone, and only after that invite one of them. You need to show thereby that you are confident in yourself, and it is difficult to confuse you.
A girl's view of the invitation
Every guy tries to choose a beautiful dance partner, he may like her, or she may simply be considered a beautiful partner. What do girls think about this.
Every girl dreams of this dance. Deep in her heart, she had already made a choice a long time ago with whom she would like to dance at the prom. But, alas, the choice of a guy is important here and she has to wait for an invitation.
A girl will not be able to refuse a self-confident guy if he is neat and looks good. He smells good and he confidently invites her to dance, then most likely the answer will be yes.
You don't have to be a tall, handsome, muscular guy to please a girl. She can be captivated by her charisma, gestures and gaze, as well as her self-confidence. You can have a fairly ordinary appearance, but at the same time have charm and attractiveness. Hold on correctly and remember that it is you who chooses your partner for dancing and the initiative should come only from you..