How to dance with a guy at prom
How to Dance at PromType keyword(s) to search
Today's Top Stories
30 Unforgettable Group Halloween Costume Ideas
A Step-by-Step Guide on Registering to Vote Online
The Student Loan Forgiveness Application Is Live
46 Easy DIY and Last-Minute Halloween Costumes
15 True Crime Shows That'll Leave You Shook 😱
Seventeen picks products that we think you'll love the most. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
Even if you have two left feet.
By Carolyn Twersky
You have spent months picking out the perfect prom dress, styling that just-right hair style, and planning the most over the top promposal your school has ever seen. You are all ready to take prom and completely slay the night. Except, for one little problem...you have NO clue how to dance. You'll look absolutely gorgeous, but you'll be glued to the back of the room all night, too afraid to get on the dance floor and bust a move. Does that sounds like you? Then read on, because I'm about to teach you how to dance at prom, no matter what your skill level.
Before you start getting down, though, just remember that dancing is all about trust. So, don't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. And before you start getting physical with someone of the dance floor, make sure they give their consent first and that everything is appropriate.
If there's one dance everyone is going to be doing at prom, it's probably the Milly Rock. The dance may seem complicated, but once your break it down it's actually pretty easy, just follow these steps:
- Let's start with the arms. Starting with your right arm, keep your elbow close to your body and make a motion almost like you're patting yourself on your front left shoulder, but don't actually hit your shoulder.
- Then, do the same motion with your left arm to your right shoulder.
- When you go back to your right arm, start moving it to your left shoulder, but then stop, almost as if it's a fake out. Then, continue through with the motion. Let's call that move a double.
- You're going to continue with your arms in this pattern: right, left, double right, left, right, double left.
- While you're doing the arms, take the opposite leg of the arm you are using and lift your heel while tracing a small half circle with your toes. Then, when you switch arms, switch legs.
- On the doubles, you're going to do a kind of fake out with your feet where you start to lift your heel, but then you stop, before lowering it back down, lifting it back up and then completing the half circle.
- Put it all together and there you have it! You're doing the Milly Rock!
Find the Beat
Ok, finding the beat may seem super simple, but some people aren't musically inclined and can struggle to get into the rhythm. If this sounds like you, use these steps to help you find the beat, and the dancing will come a little more naturally.
- When you hear a song, start tapping your foot.
- Start counting: 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2.
- While still tapping your foot and counting, start to clap every time you say 2: 1, clap, 1, clap, 1, clap, 1, clap.
- Stop tapping your foot and get your body into it a little more. And there you go, you've found the beat!
If you want to up your slow dance game, try the foxtrot. It's super easy, but it will totally impress your friends on the dance floor. To perfect the dance, just follow these steps:
- The leading partner should step forward two steps. Then, step to the left, and bring your feet together.
- Meanwhile the other partner starts on their left foot, and step backward twice while their partner is moving forward. Then, step to the right, and bring your feet together. So, both partners are doing mirrored motions.
- Now, for arms. The leading partner should have their right hand placed on their partner's back, while the following partner has their right hand on the other's shoulder. And then both partners extend their left arms and hold hands.
- Keeping your arms in position, repeat the feet movements over and over and you're foxtrotting!
Slow dancing seems terrifying, but it's actually super easy. All you need is a partner and a slow song and then just follow these steps:
- Hand placement is completely up to you and your partner. In this video, the man has his right hand on his partner's back left shoulder, while she has her left hand on the top of his right shoulder and their other hands are holding at about waist length. Alternatively, you could do both hands around the neck with your partner's hands on your waist, vice versa, or really whatever feels comfortable.
- The important aspect of this move is the feet. As explained in the video, to master the slow dance, you need to master the step-touch. Basically you are stepping to the left with your left foot, then bringing your right foot to meet it, stepping to the right with your right foot and then bringing your left foot to meet it. Literally repeat this over and over and over again and...BAM! You're slow dancing! Make sure you step to the beat of the music and you'll be good to go.
- If you want to get really fancy (this isn't necessary) you guys can start going in circles together. To do this, simply step at an angle instead of in a straight line. Lead your partner or be lead and you'll be moving magically in a circle!
The 2-step is the perfect dance move because it's so simple and works with a huge range of songs. Once you've mastered the simple move, you can add your own flair to spice it up any way you want.
- Good news! You're doing the exact same foot movements that you do when slow dancing! Meaning, step to the left with your left foot and then step with your right, bringing your feet together. Then, step to the right and bring your feet together. Keep your knees loose and then add whatever arm movements you want!
Are you really feeling the music? Maybe getting down on the dance floor with your date? Here's how to dance with your partner, without getting too up close and personal.
- Stand with one partner in front of the other and bend your knees.
- Both partners start to move their waists in a circular motion.
- One of you can move to the left, one can move to the right, or you can move together.
- There's no reason to touch, you can leave space between you two so it's school appropriate and you feel comfortable.
You've definitely seen everyone dancing like this (even your Fortnite character), so you'll prob see it on the dance floor at prom.
- Bend your left leg and lift it back.
- Jump on your right leg and kick your left leg forward.
- Continue to kick your leg back and forth while you jump.
- Now, it's time for arms, hold them down and while you're kicking your leg, move the arms back and forth with the leg.
- Then, after four pumps, take your left arm and raise it above your head. Pump your arm forward four times as you kick you leg. Then, switch back to having your arms pumping by your legs!
- Keep going, switching between arms, until you tire out.
If you have never heard of the floss, where have you been? If you don't know how to floss, that's more understandable, because it's a little difficult.
- Take your hands and hold them straight down, forming them into fists.
- Pretend like your holding a stick in your hands that is about waist length. Then, pretend like you're breaking that stick by bringing it against your hip.
- Bring your hands (still in the stick-holding formation) all the way back, and then back up, so they are parallel to the floor.
- Shift your hips to the other side and "break the stick" on your other hip.
- Pull your arms back up and parallel to the floor and then continue over and over and over again!
Basically, you can dance however you want, as long as you're having fun. Here's a video that shows off ten different dance moves that will stun on the dance floor.
Carolyn Twersky Associate Editor Carolyn Twersky is an associate editor for Seventeen covering celebrities, entertainment, politics, trends, and health.
McDonald's May Add Krispy Kreme Doughnuts To Menu
51 Best Holiday Gifts to Buy Your Coolest Friend
125 Perfect Christmas Instagram Captions
68 Creative and Cool Holiday Gifts for Dad
Any Teen Will Love These Amazon Gifts
The Student Loan Forgiveness Application Is Live
Chick-fil-A Is Bottling Its Salad Dressing
35 Thanksgiving Songs for Your Turkey Day Playlist
A Complete Ranking of the Best Thanksgiving Movies
These Trio Halloween Costumes are Everything!
dancing on guys at promTikTok
iykyk #ShowYourJOWO #FORDfortheBuilders #fypシ
TikTok video from Lexi lab (@lexizzle_14): "iykyk #ShowYourJOWO #FORDfortheBuilders #fypシ". Me being gay dancing on a guy at prom for the first time . Follow me kokisweetkoki FindingNemoDory yell.
Follow me kokisweetkoki FindingNemoDory yell - kokisweet
i hate that he’s the male version of myself 🤣🤦🏾♀️ #fyp #prom #akl #nz #poly
7.4K Likes, 30 Comments. TikTok video from Stephanie Ibarra (@msstephanieibarra): "i hate that he’s the male version of myself 🤣🤦🏾♀️ #fyp #prom #akl #nz #poly". when u dance with one of the boys and your bf doesn’t like it 🤣🤣🤣🤦🏾♀️. original sound.
original sound - Stephanie Ibarra
He’s a lil protective 🥰
1.7K Likes, 5 Comments. TikTok video from Haylee Marie🤍 (@hay. leemarie): "He’s a lil protective 🥰". *Me dancing on my friends at prom* | Me | My bf. original sound.
original sound - b0ul3vard🧛🏻♀️
Just wait for it.. #greenscreenvideo #fyp #prom #TostitosUnspokenBonds
7.4K Likes, 116 Comments. TikTok video from oj.liv (@oj.liv): "Just wait for it.. #greenscreenvideo #fyp #prom #TostitosUnspokenBonds". that time I was in a dance circle at prom & almost got snatched bc I didn’t want to grind on the guy . Never Forget You.
Never Forget You - Noisettes
Prom Night was amazing!! ❤️#fyp #prom #ballgown #boyfriend #dancethenightaway #goviral #trending #coupleslove #viral #relationshipgoals
255. 6K Likes, 1.2K Comments. TikTok video from kelli 🤍 (@kellikenna): "Prom Night was amazing!! ❤️#fyp #prom #ballgown #boyfriend #dancethenightaway #goviral #trending #coupleslove #viral #relationshipgoals". Runaway.
Runaway - AURORA
Throwback to when me n my boyfriend were the only ones dancing bachata at his senior prom 🥺 #bachata
588.3K Likes, 2.1K Comments. TikTok video from Fee (@dominicanmami666): "Throwback to when me n my boyfriend were the only ones dancing bachata at his senior prom 🥺 #bachata". Corazón Sin Cara.
Corazón Sin Cara - Prince Royce
We were scared to say the least
TikTok video from 🦋GRACIE LUTNER🦋 (@gracie.lutner): "We were scared to say the least". When people start dancing on eachother at prom in front of all the teachers. original sound.
original sound - szasgrandchildren
POV you’re a dancer at prom #dance #prom
TikTok video from Annika (@annika_mercy): "POV you’re a dancer at prom #dance #prom". original sound.
original sound - Annika
Best promposal #prom #dance #Totinos425
112.1K Likes, 1.1K Comments. TikTok video from Nickaan (@nickaandags): "Best promposal #prom #dance #Totinos425". Just a Cloud Away.
Just a Cloud Away - Pharrell Williams
prom 2k22 #prom #promdance #prom2022 #dance #dancing #untilifoundyou #trendingaudio @mkaydenn
1. 7K Likes, 45 Comments. TikTok video from Sky__Hicks (@cosmic__sky): "prom 2k22 #prom #promdance #prom2022 #dance #dancing #untilifoundyou #trendingaudio @mkaydenn". Until I Found You - Em Beihold Version.
Until I Found You - Em Beihold Version - Stephen Sanchez & Em Beihold
Graduation is a big event that all students look forward to. Formally, this is just an event where teachers, students and their parents spend their last day within the school walls. It is necessary to look stunning at this ball, so many, long before the event, begin preparations.
Dress is the most important thing at the prom, every girl wants to become a princess for one night and feel like the most beautiful in the bustle of the school prom. Many competitions and entertainment programs take place at graduation. All graduates, boys and girls, should take part in them.
Choosing a dance partner
Girls, in most cases coming to the ball, already know who they would like to see as their dance partner. They make their choice based on some estimates. Usually immediately attracted by the appearance of the guy. If he has a beautiful suit, he is elegant and irresistible, then many girls will try to compete for him.
Be sure to pay attention to his behavior. If he confidently keeps among friends, and even stands out a little, such a guy will be able to please many young ladies. Such confidence is felt from afar, and it is easy to distinguish it from promiscuity.
You shouldn't choose drunken guys, this is a bad sign and it can only indicate big complexes. A self-confident guy will not drink alcohol in order to become bolder. He's smart enough to just be who he is. Choose those guys that you like not only in appearance, but also have fun with them. You need to understand that by inviting a guy to dance, you still make a choice, and what your intentions are, he doesn’t know.
We invite you to dance
White dance is often used at the prom. He defuses the tense situation a little and gives the girls the opportunity to take the initiative. Sometimes it's not easy to come up and ask a guy to dance. Moreover, all graduates are at an age when constraint still takes precedence over reason. You need to exhale and take the first step towards the guy.
1. Act without delay, determination and perseverance can be justified. Keep it simple, go up to the guy and ask him to dance. This can confuse him, and he will easily agree. This may not happen. If the guy is surrounded by his friends. He can simply be embarrassed and refuse you, although in his heart he really wants this. Perhaps such a situation will also arise, the guys will talk about something and he will not want to interrupt the conversation. Pay attention to different little things. If you notice. That, approaching him, the guy leaves you trying to leave the hall, you don’t need to catch up with him, most likely you will be refused. The surest option is to see someone who just sits and is bored. If you approach him at this moment and with a smile looking into his eyes, say your proposal, then for sure he will agree.
2. There is also another tried and true way to get a guy excited about dancing. Here you need to act without much pressure. Proms often have tables set up where groups of students gather and interact closely. Your goal will be to sit down at the table where the right candidate is sitting. Start a casual conversation, light and so to speak about nothing. After such a conversation, you can casually say that you really like this music and just make him an offer to dance. If the guy starts to show up, arguing that he doesn’t know how, then you can put a little pressure on him and say that his skill is not very important to you, the main thing is to move to your favorite music.
3. Not every girl is sure that she will not be refused. You need to correctly calculate your strength and not become discouraged after the first attempt. The weaker sex has always been helped by cunning, and this should not be forgotten. If you are not sure that the guy will agree to dance with you, then you will have to use this weapon. Try to wait until he is left alone, if this does not happen, then call him aside, whisper. And immediately say that you argued with your girlfriend to dance with him and could he support you. Most likely, the guy will not refuse you, they love such things, because they often use them themselves. All your goal is achieved, and then you can move on according to circumstances.
Do's and Don'ts
There are limits to etiquette. For which you do not need to go. You have a definite goal, to invite a guy to a dance, and you must follow it, keeping within the bounds of decency.
Alcohol is always present at the prom, even if it is champagne, but a young body does not need much. If you didn’t calculate a little with him and went over, then postpone the idea of \u200b\u200bdancing, you should not go invite a guy if you are tipsy. This will push him away and he will probably refuse you.
If the guy you wanted to invite is with a companion, and even if they are not a couple, then do not try to be rude and show aggression. No one will like this behavior, and most likely you will never receive a positive response to the invitation.
At the prom, all the girls are very elegant and beautiful. But you want to invite that guy who would turn his attention to you. To do this, you need to focus on your appearance. It must be perfect and you must feel like a queen. Such confidence is easily felt and transmitted to others. If you have an untidy and a little disheveled look, then most likely the guy will not want to dance with you, so pay a lot of attention to your appearance.
Your voice should sound charming, when making an invitation to dance, turn on all your tenderness and charm, and babble something about the invitation. Guys love soft, and a little confused girls, and with this you can charm him. The smell of perfume, a beautiful outfit and a very pleasant voice will do their job.
Don't turn on arrogance, guys don't like it and most likely he won't agree to go to the dance with such a girl. You need to become sensitive and kind, soft and shy, and in no case not to chat on the phone all evening. A lot of makeup can just scare a guy. They are all used to seeing a natural girl at school every day, and here a painted doll appears.
Charm guys at the prom, try to please many. Look closely at each of them, there were times when people at that very moment realized that they liked each other and after the ball spent a lot of time together. There are also couples who got married thanks to the prom.
Let the prom become something special for you, and dancing with a young man will only add some sincerity and warm feelings. In any case, you don’t need to react too violently if the guy refused you, he can have many reasons for this. Maybe he doesn't know how to dance, or he has other plans, maybe he likes a completely different girl and he's afraid to frighten her away. The most important thing is to remain yourself, beautiful, confident and unique.
See also: Congratulations on Graduation
My terrible graduation: 5 stories that will teach you to be a realist - www.ellegirl.ru
Love and term papers, hellish sessions, and even the first part-time jobs. But here is the paradox. Saying goodbye to childhood and rejoicing that school is behind us, we abruptly begin to believe in fairy tales and hope that these fairy tales are about to happen in reality. And it's so childish :) We want a magical transformation and the king of the ball in addition, like in the movie "That's All She", a legendary party, like in "Project X", groovy and positive classmates, like in "High School Musical". Undoubtedly, rare lucky ones get everything at once, just like on the screen, some complete a couple of items from their wishlist, but most are faced with the harsh reality. Shit happens, you know. But don't let my sometimes sad and already very pessimistic introduction scare you. Just remember that before “big events”, like graduation, it’s better not to soar in the clouds, but to stand firmly on the ground. Do not attach sacred significance to a formal party. And, of course, do not be upset if everything did not go according to plan, like our heroines. Let the evening of your dreams turn into complete disappointments, but nobody cancels the chance to be in a fairy tale :)
A blow to self-esteem
Author of the story: Valentina
Like all girls, I dreamed of a magical graduation. I believed it would be one of the best days of my life. But, unfortunately, this did not happen. In high school, a lot of problems fell on me: exams, teenage experiences, difficulties in relationships with parents, and further down the script. Buns and chocolates helped me cope with stress. All this led to the fact that by graduation I became the chubbiest in the class. So I, like no one else, hoped for a miracle.
This is exactly what happens in Hollywood movies: the ugly duckling transforms into a beautiful swan, and the prince finally notices the one he has been overlooking for all these years. To loud applause and spotlights, they dance a waltz.
I was very carefully preparing for this evening, thinking through every detail of the festive image. I wanted everything to be perfect. I even managed to find a dream dress that perfectly matched my color and cleverly hid all figure flaws. I was full of hope. But already during the preparation, a few hours before the holiday, something went wrong. The hairstyle that I chose so carefully for my image, in reality, did not look at all as elegant as in the picture. Yes, and the makeup did not make me a different person, did not turn me into a cover girl. But I was in no hurry to get upset and believed that something good should happen today. After all, it always happens, right? After the presentation of the certificates, we continued the celebration at the restaurant. Everyone was terribly hungry. I, despite the variety of dishes, practically could not eat anything. At that moment I was a vegetarian, and the menu consisted mainly of meat. So I just sat and watched. Then everyone began to dance, and I was waiting for the moment when this miracle would happen, which I so hoped for all evening. For the sake of which I, in fact, went to graduation. I sincerely believed that "my" boy would ask me to dance. And they really invited me. But not my prince at all, but someone I never really liked. And the guy who was the object of my adoration in high school danced all evening with others, but not with me.
It was terribly hot in the room, so after a couple of hours I became very uncomfortable in my puffy dress, with this make-up, hairdo.
All this literally squeezed my lungs so that it was hard to breathe. I felt very ugly and big. Of course, I was terribly offended. I so believed in this fairy tale, which since childhood I have watched in every teenage film. I thought that tonight I would be the most beautiful. I thought I would feel the most beautiful. This evening was supposed to make me like this, make me happy. But inside I remained the same girl with complexes, resentment, problems, fears. I realized that fairy tales will not happen that night. I didn't want to be in this place for another second. After all, everyone there was better than me. The guys had fun. And for me it was the saddest holiday in my life. There were many other interesting things in the program of the evening: a huge ice cream cake, fireworks, presentation of school albums, dancing until the morning, a long walk and meeting the dawn. Alas, I didn't see it all.
I arrived home and went to bed while my classmates were celebrating the beginning of adulthood.
I was terribly hurt by how much money my parents spent (more than they could afford) to give me such a holiday. It was at that moment that I decided that I would never experience such feelings again. I will no longer be ashamed of the way I look. I will no longer feel uncomfortable because someone is better than me. I will definitely become the best for myself, I will become strong. I guess I really matured that day. Graduation taught me that you should not expect the same miracles that happen in films with the main characters. Do not place great hopes on events that do not depend on you. You need to create miracles with your own hands, create them around yourself and make every effort so that a fairy tale comes into your life. After all, miracles happen when you don't expect them. And let graduation not be the biggest miracle that awaits you on your life path.
Story by Yulia
My graduation was 3 years ago. I really wanted some unusual, original dress, but with taste. To make it look like my dress. My mother and I decided to sew a dress to order from a seamstress we know. She made very beautiful stage costumes, and we knew her well, so we had no doubt at all that my dress would be chic. After the first meeting, we went to a fabric store, my mother and the designer discussed something on their own, on a sewing machine, chose fabrics and parted. I did not understand anything, but I was sure that everything would be fine. We went to the store in February, and the first fitting was supposed to take place in about a month, but the designer had some important projects of her own, so she arrived much later. My dress consisted of a floor-length beige skirt with a corset and a cypress villa print. And on top of the blouse lilac. At the first fitting, it turned out that the designer sewed some strange lace on my sleeves, which was not supposed to be before. I hate lace, but she always assured me that it would be beautiful. The corset was not ready yet, and the skirt had to be hemmed. The dress was far from ideal, and it was the middle of April. The designer assured me that everything would be fine and beautiful, I had little idea what would happen in the end, my mother kept talking about some patterns and shelves, I did not understand anything and endured.
After the first fitting, I told my mother that I did not like the dress, to which she replied that we had already spent a lot of money, so that's it.
At the second fitting a week before graduation, it turned out that the corset was still not ready, the skirt was somehow different, I didn’t like myself in the dress at all, and the blouse still had no buttons or zippers. Mom was infuriated by the designer, who promised that she would finish everything by graduation, and the whole situation infuriated me. Last weekend, I wanted to go shopping and buy the simplest black floor-length dress that perfectly matched my shoes and bag, but I realized that my parents had birthdays almost at the same time as graduation, they already spent a lot of money and didn’t even give gifts to each other that year. I didn't want to ask for money for another dress. I hated myself and cried most of the time. On the eve of graduation, on Thursday, I sat in the room all crying, because in front of me were chic shoes, a stunning matching bag and accessories for a dress that was not there. I did not understand what to do, because in my closet there was not a single evening dress to replace. The designer called her mother almost at midnight and assured her that she would bring the dress on Friday at 12:00. Mom explained in detail to the one where and for how long she had to go, and thanked for the excellent work done. At 11:00 we had an appointment at a beauty salon, and we both understood that no one would go anywhere to get a dress.
Then together we opened my mother's wardrobe and started looking for an evening dress from what we had. Luckily, Mom had a Greek-style dress that matched the shoes and the bag.
Yes, my mother's dress was great, but it wasn't mine. And when all the girls at the prom were gorgeous, they got a lot of compliments, I just wore a beautiful dress. I was terribly uncomfortable, I wanted to feel like a queen, but it didn’t work out. I additionally took with me a set of clothes for dancing and walking around the city. I specially selected this bow for myself, so that it would be as convenient for me to move as possible and at the same time it would be beautiful. At some point in the prom, I realized that everything pisses me off, and changed into sneakers, fuchsia trousers and a hot pink floral jacket. And it was in sneakers and trousers, next to girls in stilettos and long skirts, that I felt like a beauty. A month later, I opened my mother's closet and saw my finished dress there. Mom said that she still went to the seamstress and took the dress, having told her everything that she thought. I asked my mom if I could burn the dress I hate so much, but she said no because we spent a lot of money on it. And now it still weighs in the closet, no one needs it and has never been worn by anyone.
I learned two things from this story:
- Never send anything to order. It is better to buy the simplest dress and decorate it with accessories than to wait for the designer to deign to sew a dress for you. Although it may be that I am the only unlucky seamstress, others may be more responsible, but I will not take any more risks;
- It really doesn't matter what you wear to prom. The main thing is that you feel comfortable with it. After all, there is no such law that girls must be in floor-length evening dresses, and indeed in dresses. I love my pink prom pantsuit and still wear it. And when they ask me what I wore to prom, I always talk about sneakers and trousers. And yes, I had the coolest outfit of the evening!
Story by: Lisa
Even though I graduated from high school 3 years ago, I still remember my graduation. And I will probably remember him for a long time, because on that day, no matter how loud it may sound, my dreams were destroyed. But let me tell you everything in order. I am a romantic, so I have been waiting for THIS day for a very long time. It seemed to me that graduation would be the most wonderful end to my school life. In my thoughts, I drew a perfect evening when my classmates and I will be one, when everyone will be so beautiful, and the sparkle of a smile will be accompanied by tears of happiness.
And, of course, I was sure that we would hang out all night long, dance and sing songs.
I approached the choice of dress thoroughly. Already in November, I found the one that was destined to make a real princess out of me. I am extremely grateful to my parents for the fact that they did not limit me in any way in choosing a dress and allowed me to buy what I dreamed of. Yes, now this dress is hanging in the closet. Yes, I will never wear it again. Yes, it cost a decent amount of money. Yes, it's almost impossible to sell. But on the other hand, for one day I became a Disney princess in a chic ball gown, and the whole school still remembers my image. I had doubts about makeup and hair, as I usually do everything myself, but this time I wanted something special. That is why I decided to go to the salon for the first time. I regretted it very much later. When the masters had just finished working, I liked everything: unusual makeup, and the hairstyle turned out just like from the cover of a magazine. However, when I look at the photos now, I understand that this make-up was just awful. Not only did he greatly add to my age, he also did not make me beautiful at all, on the contrary.
So if you want to leave the salon with beautiful makeup, it's better to go there in advance and do a trial.
And now my parents and I are driving in a car to school, where very soon most of my life will end and a new, adult life will begin. At least that's what I thought at the time. The official part was quite lengthy, but touching. This was followed by a photo shoot in the school yard. You know, looking back now, it seems to me that it was the most touching moment of the whole evening. We took pictures with classmates, joked, fooled around and it was just HO-RO-SHO for us. Immediately after that, the whole class got into a limousine and drove to the venue of the party. And that was the second horror of that day. Imagine 25 young men and women in suits and dresses getting into one car on a very hot summer day! It was terribly cramped, stuffy and smelly.
I just wanted to jump out of the window. Even though my dress wouldn't fit through (ha ha)
The party itself was quite boring. At first we were forced to wait on the street for about 40 minutes, as all schools were let in according to some list. And there were a LOT of schools. We were one of the last to go. Our tables were on the second floor on a makeshift balcony, so we had an amazing view of the show. But when we sat down at tables of 4 people, everyone just started eating. No one went to dance in the next room, no one went to watch the show on the stage on the first floor, no one went to participate in competitions in the foyer. We just sat and ate. When I tried to pick up my friends (10-15 people) and go have fun together, I was told in response that this is all for children, and since there is no alcohol, they cannot have fun properly. As a result, my best friend and I walked around all the sites, everyone looked, but after 3 hours we were already very tired and just found a quiet corner with easy chairs and sat there, talking about everything in the world, almost to the very end. By the way, never, under any circumstances, wear new shoes to prom! Be sure to take them out beforehand. Otherwise, it will hurt you just as much as it hurts me.
When I got home around 6 am, I lay down on my bed feeling very confused.
On the one hand, I was happy that I finished school, passed all the exams, received a gold medal and, in general, was a princess that evening. But on the other hand, I was sad. And it was an unpleasant sadness, it was a disappointment. I so hoped that all this evening my friends and I would be together, that we would all remember this day together with smiles, but no. That night, we all became strangers to each other. If now the kind wizard suggested that I relive that day again, but do everything differently, then I would most likely not go to this “party” with the class, but would arrange a party with my best friend.
Story by Lisa
I think the very word "prom" makes any girl dream of something fabulous. I'm not an exception. Since the fifth grade, I have been thinking about how, in the perfect dress, with the perfect haircut and the perfect gentleman next to me, I am heading towards the long-awaited freedom. Of course, the slightest violation of this ideality was excluded as something out of the ordinary. After all, there is always a happy ending in the cinema, which means I should have the same, I thought.
But as it turned out (surprise from adulthood!) happy endings like in the movies are the exception rather than the rule.
Everything didn't go according to plan. I decided at the last moment that staying until grade 11 was not what I wanted. Thus, starting a chain of events, which as a result destroyed my pink dreams. All the time that should have been spent looking for a prom dress and a suitable companion for the full picture, I spent in self-digging. There were questions in my head. In general, not up to the ball. Due to the tension, meetings with friends who considered my problems far-fetched became pointless. Although it seemed to me that these problems are very important. Already a month before X-day, doubts arose in me whether it was worth going to graduation at all or just picking up a certificate. Probably, I would have continued to doubt, if not for the case. For the presentation of certificates, I had an international exam, unfortunately, the date of which could not be changed. All hope now was to go with classmates to a restaurant rented by their parents. Let go of old grudges, enjoy the last evening together and make empty promises. Well, you know, when people promise to see each other on the same day every year with the same company, it's just a formality. The thing is, I wouldn't mind doing it. However, by that time, relations with former schoolmates had heated up to the limit. And to be honest, I didn't really want to spend time with them at prom.
Relatives insisted on my presence, but an inner voice said that I should not go. But what to do if the family said "must"?
Of course, by that time, the dreams that arose after watching the last part of High School Musical remained dreams. And again everything was decided by chance. I was given a ticket to an international camp, and the date of departure there was exactly on the day when my class was going to celebrate. Mystic? Anyway, my graduation was held at the airport in suspense due to a flight delay, and not in the euphoria of a celebration of life. I learned about what happened there from posts on Instagram (an extremist organization banned in Russia), as well as from the stories of a former classmate.
On the one hand, I regret that I was deprived of the opportunity to spend this day as I dreamed of as a child. On the other hand, whatever is done is for the better.
My main advice: don't expect it to be "like in a movie", don't immerse yourself in a fairy tale, because a fairy tale may not exist. The main thing after school is to surround yourself with the right people, so that it is with them that you want to spend an evening that will be remembered for many years. It is not the atmosphere and not the holiday itself that make graduation so special, but just those very people.
King of the Party
Story by Nastya
My prom ended three years ago, but I still remember that night, which smoothly turned into morning. That day, everything somehow immediately went wrong: I didn’t have time to do anything, I went on business all over the city. At three o'clock I had a make-up and hair appointment. The hair was terrible, the makeup even worse. When I got home, I tried to correct the situation, but to no avail. In addition, I was already late for the presentation of certificates. The ceremony went well, and we went all the way to the restaurant. Cool competitions, dancing until you drop and groovy classmates - it was a lot of fun. However, there was something that worried me. The boy Vanya studied in a parallel class, we went together to prepare for the exam in English. A charming pumped-up dancer with a great sense of humor - he immediately won my heart. Vanya always thought very unusually, always threw out cool things and could easily make me laugh. We corresponded a lot and generally had a great time.
At graduation, of course, I expected him to invite me to a slow dance. And yes, it happened. Everything was wonderful - we danced, fooled around and laughed.
Arriving home in the morning, I thought: “that's it, my boy”. However, soon after graduation, our communication gradually faded away. I didn't find a place for myself. I tried to understand what happened, I began to delve into myself (of course, as without it). Several times I unobtrusively wrote to him, asked how he was doing, but each time I realized that he did not want to communicate. And, as it usually happens, Vanya slowly "merged". As it turned out later, after graduation, he went to another party where he kissed my classmate. Plus, he had an ex who was a year older than him and had already left to study in another city.
As a result, he entered the same city where his ex-girlfriend was studying at the time. And guess what? They are together again now.
What is the conclusion? Don't mess with guys if they still love their exes. Boys are more resilient to breakups than girls. And if some girl has deeply sunk into their souls, then this will pass oh, how not soon. If you got in touch with a guy who is about to break up with his beloved girlfriend, then here you act at your own peril and risk. As rude as it sounds, be prepared to be taken advantage of. The guy with you will “stir up”, get high, and then the former will suddenly appear on the horizon again, and he will quickly rush to her. And you will be left with a broken heart and a broken self-esteem. You can start a relationship with a guy only when he has already completely "recovered", realized what is happening and was alone with himself. Otherwise, it will turn out that you kiss / sleep, and then he will say that “now he doesn’t want a relationship”, because before that he had a whole drama. Of course, there are exceptions that a guy meets a girl much better and easily forgets his ex. Firstly, this means that they had not such a strong love. Secondly, the guy was not very serious about all this. I just came across just too conscious guys who met with their girls for several years and really loved them. Sincere love and affection don't just go away.
No matter how beautiful, smart and self-sufficient you are, he will remember the one that has been in his heart for so long.
And nothing can be done about it, it remains only to accept and move on. Therefore, my advice to you: try to understand the guy right away. If right on the day of meeting or after a short amount of time the guy starts talking about his ex, then this is a bad sign, girlfriend. So he hasn’t forgotten her yet, and (again) send him to hell to “forget his ex.” And anyway, how dare he think and talk about her when he is with you? Especially if he shows sympathy for you in every possible way! It's no good.