Steps on how to belly dance
Basic Steps - Bellydance with Liesa
BASIC BELLYDANCE STEPS
Basic stance: feet in parallel position placed under hips. Knees slightly flexed. Pelvic area slightly tucked/neutral, chest lifted, stomach muscles engaged, shoulders relaxed. Imagine head as a balloon floating on a string. Visualize your center as within your solar plexus & your arms as resting within “heavy water” to give a smooth effect to movements.
I. Steps for moderate/fast tempos, using sharp, vigorous movements. Done in place or traveling
1. Basic walking step [sometimes called Basic Egyptian] - "Step Touch": Place foot down; lift other hip, place that foot; lift opposite hip, place that foot: continue in this manner alternating feet & hips. To travel: when foot is placed, move it slightly in the direction of travel. Variations: where you place foot, which foot steps or lifts hip, etc., will produce different effects.
2. Twist - push hips front & back, keeping on same level on a horizontal plane
3. Slide - hip goes out to the side; OR up & down: Teachers & dancers have used "slides" to describe both directions [can also refer to chest, rib cage]. To distinguish the directions, many of us say "side" for side-to-side; and hip "ups" to refer to up & down.
4. Hip bump - hip goes out to the side & up simultaneously; another term used is "hit"
5. Shimmy - a speeded up motion of slides or twists; can be done with hips or shoulders. Many variations of shimmies both stationary and traveling
6. Hip lifts - the category of moves in which the hip lifts up & down while the leg & foot of working hip are slightly extended, no weight on "working hip" leg; weight is on back supporting leg.
a) Hip lift - hip rises on the accent of the beat b) Hip drop - hip lowers on the accent
7. Thrust - a sharp back & forth movement of hip or shoulder. With hips, an energetic twisting motion with weight on back leg.
8. Doubles - refers to moving hip, or shoulder, chest, etc., etc. in sequence on each side 2x
9. Pops, locks, snaps - sharp movements done by contracting muscles quickly & strongly, then release
II. Steps for slow / moderate tempos, using smooth languorous motion. The body part lingers before switching to another move. Can be done in place or traveling.
1. Undulation - a smooth rolling move, can use just the abdomen or engage the whole torso. A stationary stomach undulation (belly roll) involves only the abdominal muscles & not the chest; the full torso move incorporates both. In traveling, the whole torso is usually involved: a flowing, gliding movement is created as the chest lifts & rolls into a stomach roll as the feet move; described as a smooth arch / contraction : these are the “camel” moves.
2. Rolls - can be done with any isolation of hips, shoulders, stomach, arms, chest, hands, head. A rounded movement done by isolating the body part in different directions as if describing a clock, compass, etc.
3. Figure 8s - the category of isolations in which the body part, usually the hips, travels along a rolling & continuous figure 8 (infinity loop). Hip Figure 8s:
a) Horizontal Fig 8 - hip travels in a front & back smooth twist motion on a parallel plane: while one hip is to the front, the other is back ; hips continuously move
b) Vertical up Fig 8; (Hipovers) - lift hip with weight on opposite leg; move that hip into center & down; center your weight; lift other hip in same manner.
c) Vertical down Fig 8 (Mayas) – lift hip w/weight on same leg; push hip out & down, then into center; repeat w/ other hip
4. Circles - same concept as Rolls, but usually traveling on the horizontal plane. Body part moves around smoothly as if drawing a circle parallel to the floor. * Some teachers use "rolls" and "circles" interchangeably.
FREEZE POSE - at conclusion of dance & also for dramatic effect during dance. A classic freeze pose: weight on one leg, opposite leg extend to side, lean over extended leg w/arms overhead in temple (palms together) or cobra (backs of hands together) arms: as if you are the “bow” and the energy that you emit is the “arrow”.
Enter content here
The Top 13 Essential Belly Dance Movements for Beginners
Learn the 13 most important foundational movements of belly dancing! Once you master these, you will have what it takes to begin creating all the spicy, snakey, silky, smooth moves you see in those amazing belly dancing videos. It won’t be easy, but don’t give up. Rome wasn’t built in a day! Good dancing takes lots of time and practice. Keep practicing and remember to relax and enjoy the experience.
Disclaimer: The videos below can be used as an introduction to basic techniques, as well as a resource for students taking LIVE classes. However, no video can replace the value of a qualified LIVE instructor. Videos can’t give you feedback (yet) or ensure that you are performing the techniques safely and correctly! So if you haven’t already, find an experienced and respected instructor in your area to help guide you along your belly dance journey.
If you live in the Houston Texas area and you would enjoy learning how to dance, we would love to help you achieve your dance dreams.
Click Here & Sign-Up Now
1. Weighted Hip Lifts and Drops
2. Un-weighted Hip Lifts and Drops
3. Knee Shimmy
4. Head Slide
5. Shoulder Rolls
6. Snake Arms: an alternating wave of each arm, right arm, then left arm
7. Ribcage Slides: side to side, forward and back
8. Hip Slides: side to side, forward and back
9. Chest Lift and Drop
10. Hip/Pelvic Tilt Forward and Back
11. Ribcage Twist
12. Hip Twist
13. Full Body Undulations: Down and Up/Reverse
belly dances for beginners video lessons
Belly dances for beginners
Best of all, an experienced instructor will teach you how to dance oriental dances. On our site you can watch videos with master classes, where different instructors offer different, interesting belly dance techniques. You just have to choose exactly what you like and learn the movements to the magic music.
Where do you start? First of all, you must learn to relax those muscle groups that are not needed at certain stages of the dance. Otherwise, your body simply will not withstand even a half-hour load.
You also need to think through your oriental image to the smallest detail. Costumes, make-up, and jewelry are also important. Experts advise not to buy many suits at once, because in a month and a half after the start of classes, your figure will noticeably change, your muscles will tighten, your waist will become thin.
You will quickly notice that your movements become more fluid and graceful. Purchase a coin loincloth and a tassel bodice. These essential attributes of oriental dances always create the right mood for both the students and the audience.
Set up a space for yourself to practice effectively at home.
You will need a large mirror and a free, comfortable space where you can spend time alone learning new dance moves. Our free video lessons will also teach you to understand the styles of oriental dances, you will know all their differences. And also get acquainted with a variety of clothes and music that meets each style.
Keep in mind to start with smooth movements.
Do not take on difficult elements at once, but repeat the lessons after experienced instructors from master classes. Of course, after you master a simple belly dance technique, you can hone it and complicate it. To comprehend the world of Arabic dances, you will have to make considerable efforts, but on the other hand, even small children master them, and you can also see how they do it from our videos.
Start with a simple rocking exercise.
You need to stand on tiptoe, stretch up, slightly bend your knees and imagine a horizontal line at the level of the navel. Learn to move your hips along it so that the navel remains in place. Do not give up exercises halfway and clearly hone your skills.
You will need them all later. Then learn to do exercises up, down and forward, backward. The navel must remain in place at all times.
On our site you will learn a lot of useful and interesting things, for example, how to do hip circles and the “pendulum” exercise, reset circles and a beautiful “wave” element. Do not be afraid, turn on the video, train and you will definitely succeed!
Where does belly dancing begin
Don't even think about going into the hall or standing in front of a mirror at home and immediately start shaking, waves, blows, sharp movements of belly dancing - first you have to work out the starting position. It usually takes at least a month and a half for this body position to become natural. At first, the body may resist, but by exercising regularly, you will quickly get used to the new sensations.
- 1 Learning the Belly Dancing Starting Position
- 2 Want to learn belly dancing at home?
- 3 Benefits of Oriental Belly Dancing for Beginners
- 4 Belly Dancing for Beginners
- 5 Belly Dancing: Tutorial for Beginners
Learning the Belly Dancing Starting Position
So let's start.
Stand in front of a mirror so that you can see yourself in full growth. A side mirror wouldn't hurt either. We consider the correct position of the body from the bottom up:
1. The distance between your feet is equal to the length of your foot.
This allows you to distribute your body weight evenly on both legs. Feet parallel to each other, toes forward - so that the knee joint does not twist and the patella (patella) does not move. We touch the floor with all toes: it is easier to maintain balance.
2. Knees are soft but not bent. So you save yourself from damage to the menisci and dislocation of the patella.
3. Hips relaxed.
4. The gluteal muscles are relaxed. Do not stick out your ass, otherwise you will increase the load on the lower back, and it looks vulgar. Deflection in the lower back, of course, looks spectacular, but this position disrupts the natural flow of blood and oxygen to the abdominal organs.
5. The pubis does not protrude forward.
6. Pelvic bones in one line.
7. Keep your belly out to look slimmer. Let men walk taut - everything should be relaxed with us, without unnecessary pressure on the abdominal organs.
8. The chest moves slightly forward, and the solar plexus area moves back. The weight of the body is concentrated more on the toes than on the heels. In this position, you will reduce the load on the lower back.
10. The shoulder blades are brought together and seem to be holding a small pencil. In this position, the muscles of the shoulder section are stretched and keep the tone.
11. Shoulders at the same level, lowered.
12. Arms extended to the sides at chest level. This is the optimal height so that the muscles of the arm are strengthened, over time a beautiful relief will appear on them.
Elbows are soft, pointing back, not down. The hands are an extension of the hands, do not “break” the wrists. Imagine holding a huge bouquet of flowers in front of you.
Fingers together, but not clenched, there is a distance between them. The middle finger is slightly inward. The palms are open to the viewer.
13. The neck is completely relaxed. Do not lower or raise your chin, keep it parallel to the floor: this way all the cervical vertebrae form the correct line.
14. Reach up with the top of your head, like a flower reaches for the sun - this will help maintain balance.
Having mastered this starting position, dance to your health!
Do you want to learn belly dancing at home?
Our video lessons "Belly dance", "Belly dance for beginners" and Alexey Ryaboshapka's video master class will help you with this! Watch videos online and practice belly dancing at home!
Belly dance lessons
Today, the famous oriental dances have already conquered the whole world, and in almost any city you can easily find belly dance lessons for beginners. It is not surprising that it is so popular now - what girl does not want to feel like a mysterious oriental beauty and put on amazing and beautiful outfits?
The Benefits of Oriental Belly Dancing for Beginners
Surely you have heard more than once that belly dancing is incredibly useful. Yes this is true. Even if you attend a belly dance school for only a few months, you will probably already notice many positive, pleasant effects from classes:
more confident, graceful and happier.
Belly dancing for beginners
Little girls can benefit from belly dancing too.
Starting from the age of 5-8, you can safely enroll your little one in belly dance training for beginners. Of course, shaking and other intense movements are excluded from the children's course, and classes are safe for health. But they have a lot of benefits:
Even if you have been learning to dance belly dance for a long time, it is not recommended to conduct training for children on your own. Experienced instructors will tell you which movements are not recommended for kids and will conduct the lesson so that there is not the slightest risk of injury.
Belly Dancing: Tutorial for Beginners
If you are determined to learn how to dance belly dance, you need to attend special courses - only there you will be explained in detail all the subtleties and point out your mistakes that prevent you from correctly performing a particular movement. However, it is quite possible to study at home - for this, it is enough just to purchase a video course for beginners.
It is important to choose a suitable video where the instructor explains each movement in detail and points out possible mistakes. However, if you notice that everything turns out to be quite easy and simple for you, you may not need an overly thorough explanation.
Start with the lesson suggested by us and tested by the readers of the site, and perhaps you will like it so much that you want to find time for serious studies in the studio.
Even if you decide to study at home using a video course, you need to build a schedule for yourself and study at least two, or better, three times a week. It is regular classes that are beneficial for your spirit and figure and contribute to the development of grace and plasticity. Therefore, give yourself 2-3 hours a week, which you are guaranteed to give to your studies - and success awaits you!
Every day oriental dances are becoming more and more popular among women of all ages.
The thing is that oriental dances, and especially belly dancing, are not only a very beautiful dance, but also a great tool for maintaining excellent physical shape. Today, many people want to learn the basics of dance, but, unfortunately, not everyone can afford to attend special dance schools. That is why we want to offer you training in the basics of belly dancing in the video lesson "How to learn how to make waves with your stomach."
Today, there are already a huge variety of different types of oriental dances that are gaining immense popularity among women of all ages around the world. The author of this lesson will introduce you to another style of oriental dance that is rapidly gaining popularity. During the video lesson "Dance Dans oriental" the author will not only show you the basics of this direction, but also teach you the secrets of a beautiful oriental dance.
Every woman, regardless of age, wants to look slim and beautiful. It's no secret that it is physical activity that can not only preserve the harmony and beauty of a woman for a long time, but also significantly increase it.
That is why many people turn to fitness trainers for help and visit expensive gyms. Why waste time and money if you can not only play sports on your own, but also study belly dance at the same time. And the author of the video lesson “Fitness based on belly dance”, which we offer you to watch right now, will help you with this.
"Belly dance Hagala steps" - online video, which presents another shaking called hagala.
It looks like the swaying of the hips gradually starts to accelerate and turns into shaking. This element is of Bedouin origin, but gradually moved into bellydance and became quite popular. Instructor Sakhira will show how hagala is performed correctly, and how this movement can decorate any dance.
We are glad to offer you a free online video viewing of the "Belly dance Hagala steps", which is located here on the site. Successful learning!
Charming Sakhira invites you to her oriental dance master class. This lesson is dedicated to the Moroccan version of bellydance, which has a faster rhythm.
Sahira will demonstrate some hip shaking and explain how they are performed to the music. Such a dance looks bright and exciting, leaving no one indifferent. So find free time to plunge into the world of oriental dance.
Internet users can find on the training portal an online tutorial "Belly dance Moroccan shimmy", which is available for viewing by everyone.
When: 21-05-2016, 22:57/ Views: 2343/ Comments: 0/ Author: video_dance_ru
“Khaliji Movement” is an educational video that will help you learn about such a variety of belly dance as Khaliji dance.
During this lesson you will learn one of the most mysterious elements of this dance - head movement. Listen carefully to the music and follow all the teacher's instructions. Head movements in khaliji leave a lot of room for improvisation, if you add to them the main step and padding with a brush.
Don't miss this great opportunity to watch the Khaliji Movement Educational Video available online at any time.
When: 26-04-2016, 14:02/ Views: 7399/ Comments: 0/ Author: video_dance_en
"Oriental dances for beginners" - an online video that will be useful for beginners in bellydance. This ancient dance art does not lose its relevance today.
The basic movements of bellydance are simple and accessible even to beginners. The combination of oriental rhythms and energetic graceful movements of the body will not leave anyone indifferent. A professional bellydance instructor will show you several elements that you will put together in a dance sequence.
Enjoy watching the online video "Oriental dances for beginners", which you can always find here.
When: 21-04-2016, 23:14/ Views: 2373/ Comments: 0/ Author: video_dance_en
"Belly dance for beginners online" is a training that will give you the opportunity to feel like a beautiful princess from an oriental fairy tale and learn how to dance body in perfection. One of the main advantages of bellydance is that it does not require special physical preparation, so you can safely start learning even if you have not danced before. An experienced choreographer will demonstrate the basic links and movements of bellydance.
Enjoy on this site watching the free video training "Belly Dancing for Beginners Online".
When: 10-04-2016, 11:10/ Views: 3285/ Comments: 0/ Author: video_dance_en
"Oriental dances for beginners" - video lessons for true fans of bellydance magic. Valentina Nuzhda will demonstrate an original dance performance, which she will then disassemble step by step.
You will see how beautiful and refined all the movements of oriental dances are. Each bundle looks like a true masterpiece of dance art. So do not hesitate for a minute and start training just now.
We invite Internet users to get acquainted with the unique video lessons "Oriental dances for beginners", which are always online on the site.
When: 6-04-2016, 20:58/ Views: 3641/ Comments: 0/ Posted by video_dance_en
“Belly dance lessons for free” is an educational video from the stunning Tiazza, who will conduct a belly dance class for beginners. You will see the basic steps and combinations of belly dancing, which will be quite accessible for beginner dancers, so that you can fully enjoy the first lesson. Oriental dances will become a source of inspiration and inexhaustible good mood for you, which you can share with others.
Enjoy watching the free belly dance tutorial video available online here. Successful training!
Learning to dance belly: 8 steps to beauty and harmony | Beauty secrets | Health
There is no more ancient dance than belly dance. Even the walls of the tombs, erected on the orders of the Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten in the 14th century BC, are painted with scenes depicting in great detail nothing more than a belly dance.
The choreographer was a bee
Legend says that this erotic oriental dance appeared quite by accident. It was all the bee's fault. Bewildered by the delicate floral aroma emanating from the oiled body of a young dancer, confusing her with a flower, a bee flew under her thin outfit during the performance. Frightened by the uninvited guest, the girl began to rotate her hips and stomach with all her might. It was as if her hips and stomach were competing in mobility, teasing and provoking each other. The grace with which she made the movements delighted those around her.
European travelers eventually became acquainted with the ancient dance. However, his eroticism is perceived by Europeans in different ways. “Indecency and indecency,” some exclaim indignantly. Others consider belly dancing a real art.
East - flexible body
Belly dance secrets are carefully passed down from generation to generation. For what? Not just for beauty. In Arab countries, the fertility of a woman is still perhaps her main advantage in the eyes of the majority. From early childhood, Arab girls begin to be taught special exercises, which are the basis of belly dancing. Daughters diligently adopt from their mothers the ability to control the body, move beautifully and gracefully. These simple movements make it possible from childhood to strengthen the muscles of the back, abdomen, lower back, and hips in girls - expectant mothers, which play a major role during pregnancy and during childbirth.
In addition, belly dancing is an excellent means of keeping slim and seductive forms for Eastern women. Even having grown fat with age, Arab charmers move easily, remain amazingly flexible. This is confirmed by official science. According to the research of modern scientists, Eastern women are less likely to suffer from cervical and lumbar radiculitis, less prone to scoliosis and other diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Following Hollywood stars
To maintain a perfect waist and elastic tummy, Hollywood stars are also fond of oriental dances. Imagine: in one dancing hour you can burn up to 400 kilocalories, strengthen the torso, improve coordination of movements, and make the spine more flexible. The dance will teach you how to move beautifully and follow your posture. And although at first it will be difficult for you, but in order to feel the gaze of men behind your back, it’s worth the effort.
Of course, it is better to learn belly dancing in the company of an experienced instructor, but some basic movements can be learned on your own. This simple but effective set of dance exercises in just a few months will make the abdominal muscles elastic and toned, and you - more sexy and erotic.
● Your clothing should be light and not restrictive. To begin with, tie a thin pareo (silk scarf) around the hips, which will effectively emphasize their flexible line. Raise your arms up and, clapping your hands to the beat, gently shake your hips. Do not start dancing immediately at a fast pace. Choose the rhythm of movement that suits you and try not to change it during the dance.
● Standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, raise your right thigh sharply, then your left. Try not to strain your abdominal muscles. Repeat the movement 8 times.
● Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Swing your hips gently from side to side, like a pendulum, 8-10 times. Make sure that only your hips move.
● Rotate your hips 8 times in each direction, as if you were spinning a hoop. Please note: the body must be motionless.
● Feet shoulder width apart. As you exhale, stick out your stomach as much as possible, 6-8 times. Tired - take a 10-second pause.
● Keep your feet shoulder-width apart. Place your right foot on your toes and lift your right thigh. Shift your body weight to your left leg. Vigorously rotate your right hip clockwise 6-8 times. Repeat the exercise by changing the position of the legs.
● Feet slightly apart. Move the pelvis forward (the stomach is tucked up, the muscles are tense), then back (the muscles are relaxed) 6-8 times.
● Exhale deeply, forcefully draw in the stomach - the diaphragm rises. Then slowly inhale through the nose, sticking out the stomach - the diaphragm goes down. Do not move your body - only the stomach works (repeat the movement 4-6 times).
Dance for half an hour a day (better in the morning on an empty stomach or 2 hours after eating), and normal blood circulation in the pelvis, good bowel function, beautiful gait and majestic posture, healthy joints, elastic muscles are provided to you.
- If it's done professionally, I really like this art. But for this it is necessary that several factors come together at once - the dancer's talent, a beautiful concert costume and the beauty of her body. Belly dancing cannot be danced by thin girls - here you need to have something with which to dance this dance!
- The secrets of royal posture and beautiful gait.