How to learn dance steps at home
How to Learn Dance at Home Step by Step: Complete guide
Watch Video1 min
Interested in dance and want to learn a few dance moves at home? Here's how.
Written by Red Bull Editorial Team
4 min readPublished on
Read this article in Hindi
Dance is one of the most multi-purpose skills out there. What else can you use in the club and as a workout? Lots of people learn to dance in structured settings like studios, but with the prevalence of the internet, many resources like videos and online communities for support, anyone can learn to dance at home.
How to Learn to Dance at Home
Want to improve your moves? Follow these steps to learn to dance at home:
1. Select a style
Start by deciding what style of dance you want to learn. There are tons out there — individual dance styles like ballet, jazz, and hip hop, and partner styles like ballroom and salsa. Definitely figure out what type you're interested in before you get started, which will make it easier to find the best resources.
Missing img placeholder
© Red Bull
2. Decide on technique or routine
Next, decide whether you want to learn basic technique or a specific dance. Most dance styles have foundational movements that trained dancers practice repeatedly to build their strength, endurance, and skill. However, some folks who are just learning for fun might prefer learning a specific dance, like Lil Uzi Vert's Futsal Shuffle rather than just practicing the basics.
3. Find the right video
Dance Home Guide: B-Boy Wigor
Zaczynamy wyzwanie: #RedBullHomeChallenge! Pukamy do drzwi domów B-Boys i B-Girls, a oni pokazują, jak mieszkają. Oczywiście tanecznym krokiem! Zobacz wideo Dance Home Guide z B-Boyem Wigorem.
Now's the time to find your teacher: A video. There are tons of fantastic vids out there from professional dancers, teachers, musicians, and amateurs to help you learn to dance. Lots of websites offer classes, tutorials, or tips for burgeoning dancers — some are free and some cost money. If you're looking for a technique class, search for something like "hip hop dance class." If you want to learn a specific dance, search for the name of the dance along with "tutorial," like "Chicago Cell Block Tango tutorial."
4. Warm up
Dance Your Style 2019: Tokyp warm-up
© Red Bull
Before you dance, it's important you warm up. Get your heart rate up and your muscles warm by jogging in place. Do some stretching like touching your toes and opening your hips to loosen up. Most dance styles require a bit of flexibility, so focus on a few exercises that will help lengthen tight muscles before you get going.
5. Do the lesson
Finally, it's time to dance! Play your video, and get moving! If you're using a smart TV, keep the remote nearby so you can pause and rewind when you need to see a step again. If you're using your phone or laptop, keep it close by for the same reason. Don't be afraid to do the same step or section a few times over — some steps take longer than others to master.
Tip: Try the moves in front of a mirror next to your video so you can see how you look.
They say it takes 10,000 hours to master a new skill — don't give up! Keep practicing with the same video and new videos with other teachers to get better at your dance. You'll see improvement the more you work at it.
B-Boy Junior poses for an action shot
© Little Shao/Red Bull Content Pool
Best Resources to Learn How to Dance
The internet is an amazing place. So many resources exist for people to master dance at home. Consider these top learn-to-dance-at-home resources to get started.
For a more cost-effective option (though you'll have to do more searching for solid content), try out these guys:
YouTube: YouTube is a great place to start to find dance class videos if you're still figuring out which styles you're interested in learning.
Vimeo: Vimeo has always been a favorite of creative types, so you might be able to find some solid videos there.
Twitch: A newcomer to the user-uploaded video game, but Twitch is a competitor nonetheless. You could find some gems on here!
Where to Start
Totally overwhelmed and not sure which style you should start with? Consider starting with one of the big top three: Ballet, jazz, or hip hop. Almost every other style of dance uses some ballet terminology (yes, even hip hop), so it might be helpful to learn a little ballet before anything else.
Jazz and hip hop are also foundational styles — jazz is the basis for contemporary dance and hip hop informs lots of popular, urban and music video dances. Want a list of a few dance styles to try? You got it. Keep in mind, there are hundreds of different dance styles out there — one of them is absolutely perfect for you!
Learning to dance should be fun. Take the time in the comfort of your living room to learn a new technique or routine to show off to your friends.
10 Basic Dance Moves Anyone Can Learn
Do you ever watch someone dance and wonder how they come up with moves so easily?
Great dancers often master a specific set of moves that they can fall back on again and again.
Read on for 10 basic dance moves you can learn in minutes and use every time you wanna dance.
P.S. You can learn all of these moves for FREE on STEEZY Studio! No cc required. 😉
1. The Two-Step
When I first started dancing at parties, the Two-Step was the first move that truly came naturally to me.
It really is as simple as stepping from side to side to the beat!
If you're looking for something foolproof that allows you to just groove and enjoy the music...
Boom. Here it is.
2. The Monestary
This move was born in a club called Monestary out in St. Louis!
It’s built on a Two-Step, so if you took that class, you’ve already got a foundation for the footwork.
But rather than bringing your feet together, you’ll tap them to the front with your knee and foot turned inward.
Then, as you tap the feet, you’ll move your arms and shoulders in a circular movement.
3. Booty Pop (Side To Side)
Like the Woah, this sexy move is super TikTok-friendly – but with more feminine energy.
To do a booty pop to the side, you’re gonna bend your knees, put your hands on one knee, and then bring the other leg from bent to straight while turning your knee inward.
If you’re a long-haired baddie, be sure to keep all your hair on one side so it doesn’t flop in your face as you pop!
Read this article on How To Dance Sexy to get more tips on pulling off moves like this one!
4. The Billy Bounce
Surprise – this club-ready move is built on… a bounce!
But what makes it unique is that your knees will come inward on each bounce rather than just up and down.
Once you’ve got the funky lil knee bounce down, you’ll add in an upward kick on each side.
The best thing about this move is that while the footwork takes a few minutes to learn, you don’t necessarily need to add an arm movement to make it look cool.
Just keep your arms front and center.
5. The Woah
Even if you’re not actively involved in the dance community, you’ve probably seen people hitting the Woah – on TikTok, Reels... all over your newsfeed!
Whether you wanna make a viral video of your own, or you’re just looking for a fun, basic dance move to pull out at the clerb, this one is too good not to learn.
Since the locking arm motion is so sharp and pronounced, use the Woah to accent the heaviest bass beats in your favorite songs.
6. The Dougie
Yes, the Dougie is a real dance move!
Like the Two-Step, you’ll be shifting your weight from side to side, but this time, adding some shoulder movements and a lil more attitude.
Try this one out to some songs other than the one that made it famous – you’ll find it works with any hype beat.
7. Scoop Arm Into Hip Sway
Sooo this one is more of combo than a move, but it only takes a few minutes to learn and it works with any fun sassy song…
So it deserves to be here, ok?!
For this move, you’re gonna scoop your arm across your chest, then bring it over your head, and finally point it in front of your chest.
Once you point the arm in front of you, you’ll sway your hips from side to side and groove it out.
8. The Bust Down
The Bust Down was popularized by LA rapper, Blueface, in his 2019 club jam “Thotiana”.
You’re gonna grab your belt, put one arm in the air, and allow your body to dip with the beat.
Note: Licking your eyebrows like Blueface is fun, but not required. 😛
9. The Biz Markie
The Biz Markie is an old school party dance inspired by, you guessed it, rapper Biz Markie!
It rose to popularity in the 90s, when Biz Markie himself began performing it on stage.
As you practice it, remember to allow your shoulders to bounce – the bounce is what gives this move its cool, laidback flavor.
Wanna learn more about classic Hip Hop moves? Read this: How To Dance Hip Hop for Beginners
10. The Humpty
For this bouncy move, you’re gonna circle your hips to one side as your bend your knees.
Then, you’ll jump and cross your legs, allowing your feet to tap the floor briefly before you jump back to your original legs apart position.
Once you’ve got that down, you can complete the move by adding in a windmill motion with your arms.
The leg cross in this move makes it perfect for any Hip Hop song that features a double bass (aka that BOOM BOOM sound that you hear in songs like “Lip Gloss” by Lil Mama)
We hope you enjoyed learning some of our favorite basic dance moves.
Of course, this list is just a start!
In addition to the 10 moves on this list, STEEZY Studio has 100+ other FREE beginner classes where you can learn step-by-step from the world’s best teachers.
What To Read Next:
30-Minute Dance Workouts That'll Trick You Into Becoming A Better Dancer
How To Learn Popping
How To Start Dancing Hip Hop For Beginners
How To Learn Dance At Home
How to learn to dance at home?
There is a lot to be said about how to learn to dance at home. However, it is best to see it. Group lessons are considered the most effective method of teaching dance. But do not be upset if this is not possible. It is still possible to take some steps in this direction.
How to learn to dance beautifully to music?
Dance is an art. In order to dance beautifully, it is necessary to have innate plasticity, a sense of rhythm and creative abilities. However, even with good innate abilities, you can dance poorly if you do not practice.
A good way to quickly learn to dance is to have group lessons with a trainer. They help to see other dancers, learn from their achievements and mistakes. Classes in a group are captivating with their synchronicity, a sense of community, the beauty of movements. In them, a person feels the full power of dance.
Sometimes you need to learn how to dance a specific dance in a short time. This applies to situations such as a wedding or a themed evening. This is where a private coach can help. However, it is worth noting that this pleasure is not cheap, and the coach will charge a considerable amount for his services.
In addition, you can learn to dance on your own with the help of instructional videos. This method is good for those who want to learn how to move beautifully and master the basic skills of any dance. For more serious training, a specially equipped dance studio is required.
Important steps in how to learn to dance on your own at home are:
- Learn to feel the music . Watch videos with dances of various styles. Try moving around to different music. The body must learn to get in time with the music. Feel that different genres of music have their own movements that characterize it. In some directions, plasticity is required, in others - speed of movement and sharpness, in others - flexibility. Try to understand what the music is talking about and reflect it in the dance.
- Increase your endurance . An unprepared person can withstand no more than 10 minutes of moving dance. To increase endurance, you need to dance at home at a fast pace for at least 10 minutes. A good way to improve the sense of rhythm and increase endurance is fitness classes, videos of which can also be found on the Internet.
- Learn different movements . This advice is especially good for those who want to understand how to learn how to dance club dances at home. Learn at least a couple of dozen dance steps from various directions. This will help to understand the elements of the dance and will provide an opportunity to build new movements by analogy with the learned ones. Pay special attention to how the legs, arms, body should move, what is the trajectory of movement.
- Listen to your body . Let it move the way it wants to.
How to learn to dance the waltz?
The Waltz is considered the king of dance, because for all its simplicity, it is very effective and solemn. In order to learn how to dance the waltz, you need to learn the basic movements:
- circling in a square dance, with two small and one large step on each side;
- rotation of the partner under the raised arm of the partner;
- convergence of dancers to each other. As they approach, the clasped hands are raised, after which the partners disperse;
- approaching and moving away from each other partners with clasped hands with a change of place.
Mastering these movements will be enough for a person to spin in a waltz. Of course, before this, a little practice is required, which will then be rewarded with a beautiful royal dance.
How long without getting drunk?
It is not uncommon for long feasts to lead to excessive alcoholic libation, imperceptibly to oneself, which leads to rapid and severe intoxication. Our article will tell you about what will help you not to get drunk for a long time.
How to choose a vacuum cleaner?
After reading this article, you will learn how to choose the right vacuum cleaner and by what criteria to determine that this household appliance will be reliable. The article describes the main criteria for choosing various models of vacuum cleaners for home use.
How to catch sabrefish?
Many people love fishing, regardless of gender and age. In our article, we will talk about the intricacies and tricks of catching sabrefish, depending on the means for fishing and bait, as well as about the places where this fish likes to live most of all.
What to fish for trout?
Trout is a fastidious fish both to the purity of its habitat and to the temperature regime of the reservoir in which it lives. Our article will tell you about the intricacies of catching this fish and about the bait that she loves the most.
How to learn to dance: tips from professional choreographers
Free practical materials that will help everyone easily and joyfully change their lives for the better
- General recommendations
- Instructions from professional choreographers
- A few more nuances
A sense of rhythm, smooth and graceful movements, looseness are not given to all people. Many girls, when they come to a club or find themselves at a corporate party, are embarrassed to make an awkward step, they seem clumsy to themselves, they are afraid to look stupid, so they huddle against the wall. At the same time, every representative of the fair sex wants to catch admiring glances and be successful with men. Not having the opportunity to regularly attend specialized classes, many girls are wondering how to learn to dance at home.
Experts advise, nevertheless, to turn to professionals for help, but they admit the possibility of mastering the choreographic wisdom on their own. To do this, they give a number of tips to help prepare yourself for the process and comprehend the science of dance.
- Love music. If you are learning choreography at home, you need to listen to recordings everywhere: in the car or on public transport, at work or during breaks in your studies, when you return to your own home in the evening or wake up in it in the morning. Firstly, music nourishes with its energy and rhythm from the inside, and secondly, it generates the emotions necessary for beginners who comprehend the science of dance.
- Develop physical strength. Dance and sports stand next to each other, and for classes you will need hardy legs and toned muscles of the whole body. In the morning and immediately before an independent lesson, a warm-up is necessary, which will warm up all the ligaments and avoid injuries.
- Work on your sense of rhythm. This quality can be developed even if you were not born with such a talent. Move to the music, count to the music, cook, clean, dress and walk down the street, trying on the rhythm of the music. Such skills are an excellent basis for dancing skills.
- Overcome your laziness. Is it possible to learn to dance at home if the girl is lying on the couch? No, that won't work. Only your strong will, desire and ability to tune in to work determine the success of the event.
- Take care of the free space. It is necessary for comfortable work. If necessary, organize the rearrangement of furniture, remove all unnecessary, make sure that the floor is not slippery. Try to practice in front of a mirror: this is one of the most important conditions for learning how to dance for a girl.
- Don't forget your clothes. Many people think that when it comes to learning how to dance at home, looks don't matter. This is not true. If you make it a rule to change clothes before an impromptu session, this will become a certain discipline moment. Get comfortable, breathable leggings (skinny cut allows you to see your movements in the mirror), a t-shirt or tank top that does not restrict movement, suitable shoes.
Instruction from professional choreographers
- Decide which direction you like. Even if you are passionate about all dances, from classical to breakdancing, you need to start with something specific. Set yourself a small task - for example, club dances. Covering several directions at once for beginners will not work - you will simply get confused and quickly lose both interest and incentive. The decision to learn how to dance modern dances at home must be concretized for yourself, and after mastering the basic skills, move on to something else.
- If you can't sign up for a course with a professional, purchase a training video CD or search online.
- Exercise regularly. It is not necessary to dance every day for two hours - make it a rule to do this three times a week. Big plans very often end in failure: a person cannot carry out his plans and loses interest in a new business.
- Start with a warm-up. Without it, you can damage the ligaments or get other injury.
- Divide the lesson into four parts: warm-up, review, new material, relaxation or cool-down. This will help you organize your lessons and make the most of your time.
- Speaking about how to learn how to dance beautifully, one cannot fail to mention the overcoming of constraint. Without this, all efforts will be in vain. We learn mainly right at the event, surrounded by the same dancing people. Convince yourself that there are girls like you around, they came to have fun and move to the music, and you are no worse than them. Emancipation in dance is, first of all, the decision to follow one's own desires without regard to the opinion of the crowd.
A few more nuances
A good experience for someone who wonders how to learn to dance is reading specialized forums. There you will be able to find professional advice, newbie questions that may often come to your mind, ways to solve problems, a description of the results and the efforts expended. In addition, it is easy to find like-minded people and new friends on the forums.
Do not neglect watching dance shows. Firstly, in these TV shows you can get new ideas for your own activities. Secondly, criticism of professional choreographers who sit on the jury can also be useful to viewers.
If you have successfully mastered the basic skills, achieved your goal and want to go further, the best thing to do is to take it in a professional dance school. Only study under the guidance of specialists, their example and constant practice in public will allow you to achieve significant results.
Sometimes self-study in dance is not aimed at public performances.