How to wear a bharatanatyam dance dress
Bharatanatyam Costumes for Men and Women
The costumes of Bharatanatyam dance are one of the most elegant forms of dresses which adds to the beauty of the dance and represents the culture and tradition of India. Before we jump into various types of Bharatanatyam dance costumes, let’s take a quick look at Bharatanatyam dance form.
Bharatanatyam is an age-old dance form that speaks stories of the mythologies. It was initially performed in the temples and the courts of the king and later became popular in South India.
Jump to Section
- Bharatanatyam Costumes History
- Common Forms of Bharatanatyam Costumes
- Bharatanatyam Ankle Bells
- Jewellery in Bharatanatyam Costume
- Bharatanatyam Makeup
The costumes of Bharatanatyam are the various clothing and accessories which are worn by a dancer. Any costume for dance is often specially made with proper customization. The right costumes help make the movements of the dance easier and more comfortable to wear during dance performances. It also helps to bring out the aesthetic beauty of the dancer which the choreographer wants to show through the dancer’s moves.Bharatanatyam Costumes History
The costumes of Bharatanatyam are one of the most elegant forms of dresses. Not only does it add to the beauty of the dance, it also represents the culture and tradition of India. The Bharatanatyam dress worn in the king’s courts did not cover most of the parts of the women’s body. The transformation in the dancer’s costumes happened in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries under the influence of Marie Camargo.
The costume or dress of the Bharatanatyam dance form usually represents the costume a bride wears in Tamil Nadu. Bharatanatyam was said to even have been performed as a part of the Devadasi dance form whereby women as servants used to perform the dance to please their masters. During their occasional performances in the King’s courts, they used to wear the costumes of Bharatanatyam.Common Forms of Bharatanatyam Costumes
BHARATANATYAM DRESS OF WOMENBharatanatyam costume for women
The two most popular Bharatanatyam costumes are in the skirt style and in the style of pyjama style. The material of the Bharatanatyam sarees is made of silk and is emphasised with the golden “zari” works. The pleats which are present in these costumes give a marvellous look. Furthermore, embroideries depict the various mythological happenings in the Indian historical past.
These clothes are both beautiful and comfortable to wear as the dancer otherwise would face hardships to perform the dancing steps. The dancing dress is beautiful so as to enhance the beauty of the dance during a performance. The small piece of cloth which tends to cover the blouse and upper portion of the women’s body known as the ‘choli’ tends to be of the same colour as that of the dress worn by the women during the performance.How to wear a Bharatanatyam costume
BHARATANATYAM DRESS WORN BY MENBharatanatyam costume for men
The men’s dress is quite simplistic for the Bharatanatyam dance whereby a pleated dhoti covers the lower portion of the body. These pleats enrich the dance moves and their beauty. On the other hand, only a few pieces of jewellery cover the upper portion of the body. There is an absence of clothing material for the upper portion of the men’s body.Bharatanatyam Ankle Bells
The ankles bells are integral part of Bharatanatyam costume. The Bharatanatyam dance requires essentially the bells which are worn both by the men and the women in their dance. This helps the dancers keep a proper rhythm of their leg movements with the ‘Tala’ sounds. These dancers are judged by the sounds of their ankle bells, which must move according to the music and keep track of the footwork of the dancer in Bharatanatyam dance. They begin by wearing a two-row bell and then a three-row bell. However, the number of rows increase as the dancer keeps getting better.
Dancers consider these ankle bells sacred and the teacher instructs him or her to always respect their ankle bells and keep them with care. These ankle bells also add to the beauty and music of the dance. Furthermore, the sound of these bells adds to the sense of rhythm, thus, making the audience feel good.
Jewellery in Bharatanatyam Costume
There is an extravagance of jewellery which enhances the beauty to this costume and specific names are given to the various pieces of jewellery which are worn by the Bharatanatyam dancers.
“Temple Jewllery’ refers to all these pieces of jewellery collectively. This constitutes the bangles, the necklaces as well as the wristlets.
The Bharatanatyam dance costume also requires the wearing of the buns and the making of plaits. The bun on the upper portion of the plaits is decorated with flowers and the forehead is decorated with that of the ‘tika’ and the ‘dot’. There is also an important headpiece called the ‘Thalaisaman’ and dancers also wear the ‘Chandrasuryam’.
Bharatanatyam jewellery includes the earrings and the neckpiece which adds to the attractiveness of the dance form. Peacock and the floral motifs, as well as red and green pearls, cover the neckpiece. On the upper portion of both the arms, they tie ‘Venkies’ and a long snake-like ornament decorates the plaits.Bharatanatyam Makeup
Make-up is one of the most distinct aspect of Bharatanatyam costume. Dancers use make-up to make the eyes prominent so that the dancer’s eye movements are noticeable. In addition, they also wear red dies on the tips of their fingers and toes to add beauty while dancing. These dances help connect the dancer to the viewer and attract them to the dance form.Bharatanatyam makeup step by stepSummary
The dance forms remain incomplete without a proper costume which represents the specific form of dance. The dance costume of Bharatanatyam is important to represent the culture and tradition of the dance form and to enhance the beauty of the movements of the hands, legs, expressions and also the body positions in this dance form.
This beautiful dance form is enriched with the extravagant and gorgeous costumes, the makeups, the jewellery and the ankle bells which form a part and parcel in this form of dance.
To learn more about Bharatanatyam, visit learn Bharatanatyam online
Bharatnatyam Costume - Etsy.de
Etsy is no longer supporting older versions of your web browser in order to ensure that user data remains secure. Please update to the latest version.
Find something memorable, join a community doing good.
(74 relevant results)
Dance Dresses, Skirts & Costumes Bharatanatyam Dance Dresses, Skirts & Costumes Kuchipudi, thai traditional, indian Classical Dance, bharatanatyam, dance Dresses, Skirts & Costumes Bharatanatyam, thai Traditional, indian Classical Dance, bharatanatyam png dance, bharatanatyam png
- Indian classical dance,
- sari, nine0005 pants,
- Kalakshetra fund,
- folk dance,
- Dance Dresses & Skirts Costumes,
- costume design,
- christmas ornament,
- free download
About This PNG
- Image size
- File size
- 220. 79KB
- MIME type
Non-Commercial Use, DMCA Contact Us
- women's yellow and red dress, Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam Dance in India Art, dancers, miscellaneous, culture, people png 907x1132px 970.74KB nine0006
- woman wearing red and purple sari, Indian classical dance Kuchipudi Bharatanatyam Dance Dresses, skirts, and costumes, group dance, miscellaneous, abdomen, monochrome png 500x700px 72.52KB
- woman in yellow dress dancing, Indian classical dance Shiva Bharatanatyam Kuchipudi, tamil, miscellaneous, bollywood, dance png 520x591px 81. 13KB
- dancing woman illustration, Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam Belly dance, tamil, miscellaneous, fictional Character, dancing png 1006x1313px 583.66KB nine0006
- Bharatanatyam Indian classical dance Kuchipudi dance in India, parvati, miscellaneous, abhinaya, dance png 667x967px 576.12KB
- Dance in India Cartoon, others, miscellaneous, abdomen, cartoon png 512x512px 179.42KB
- Shobana dance Natya Shastra Bharatanatyam Taranjini School of Bharatanatyam, Dancers, miscellaneous, people, dance png 800x1439px 1.14MB
- Dance dresses, skirts and costumes. Costume Designer Bharatanatyam, ancient teacher, performing Arts, email, indian Classical Dance png nine80x496px 267.61KB
- woman in blue and brown traditional dress performing dance pose, Kalakshetra Dance Foundation in India Bharatanatyam Performing arts, SRIRAM, miscellaneous, performance, head png 500x650px 239.17KB
- Indian classical dance Indian classical dance, India, india, world, sticker png 1280x839px 336.39KB
- woman dancing illustration, Dance in India Indian classical dance Drawing, indian dance, miscellaneous, fictional Character, dance png 533x800px 255.71KB nine0006
- woman wearing orange dress while dancing, Indian classical dance Odissi Dresses, Skirts, and Costumes, Dancers, people, india, world png 1277x1900px 1. 89MB
- Indian classical dance Kathak Bharatanatyam Dance in India, indian dance, performing Arts, dance, odissi png 600x520px 61.43KB
- Kerala Kathakali Indian classical dance Mohiniyattam, others, india, religion, kerala png 650x637px 506.98KB
- woman wearing red traditional dress and pyramid building s, Dance temple Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam, India, india, world, cuisine png 285x900px 63.82KB
- woman in red and brown dress illustration, Vasundhara Doraswamy Folk dance Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam, India, culture, india, world png 451x610px 75.98KB
- Folk dance of Mexico Baile Folklorico Folk dance of Mexico, dress, culture, performing Arts, latin America png 614x681px 120.2KB
- woman in red and yellow dress dancing, Kathakali Indian classical dance Dance in India, dancing, miscellaneous, performing Arts, dance png 500x500px 127.62KB nine0006
- Smita rajan Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam Indian classical dance, kathak dance, india, abdomen, performing Arts png 386x670px 211.34KB
- Dance in India, bollywood dance, flower, fictional Character, performing Arts png 476x800px 178.49KB
- Moulin Rouge Costume Clothing Can-can Dress, dress, halloween Costume, woman, cabaret png 600x600px 250. 49KB
- religious figure illustration, Somatheeram Village Ayurveda Kerala Dance in India Bharatanatyam, dance, miscellaneous, monochrome, religion png 600x900px 519.52KB
- Dance in India Drawing, sari, miscellaneous, monochrome, monochrome png 1006x1006px 529.63KB
- Belly dance Tiny Dancer Ballet Dancer, belly dancer, ballet Dancer, angel, belly Dancer png 600x600px 421.11KB
- International Dance Day, India, Dancing In India, Indian Classical Dance, Hindi Dance Music, Folk Dance, Bharatanatyam, Kathak, 2018, Hand, Bharatanatyam png 600x600px 34KB
- Belly dance Dresses, Skirts & Costumes Music, others, miscellaneous, fashion Model, dance png 538x807px 400.27KB nine0006
- woman wearing red and gray outfit, Brazilian Carnival Samba K&L Dance, brazilian carnival, miscellaneous, hair Accessory, head png 560x800px 496.71KB
- Community Dance Tradition, others, miscellaneous, culture, monochrome png 810x810px 132.52KB
- woman in yellow and red bodysuit with dance gesture illustration, Dancer in India Ballet dancer, India hand-painted dancers, watercolor Painting, painting, people png 1392x3189px 553.97KB
- Shobha Naidu India Natya Shastra Mayuri Performing arts, ugadi, world, abdomen, tradition png 1101x3820px 4. 16MB nine0006
- Thankamani Kutty Bharatanatyam Performing arts Indian classical dance, BHARATANATYAM DANCE, performing Arts, traditions, indian Classical Dance png 446x735px 76.73KB
- gold knight head, Wayang Logo Dance Graphic design, AD, angle, indian Classical Dance, war Dance png 2917x2917px 171.56KB
- Tutu Ballet shoe Dance Dresses, Skirts & Costumes, ballet, ballerina, ballet Shoes, clothing Accessories png 630x900px 227.75KB
- ballerina wearing blue tutu dress dancing, Ballet Dancer Drawing Child, tutu, blue, hand, sticker png 689x1200px 348.88KB
- Rajasthan Art Graphic design Kalbelia, camel cartoon, miscellaneous, poster, cartoon png 1400x1980px 2.46MB
- Bodysuits & Unitards Ballet Tutu Dance Costume, ballet, blue, child, ballet Dancer png 630x900px 204.16KB
- woman wearing multicolored dress, African dance Music, Dancing women, holidays, women Accessories, indian Naked Women png 632x1000px 448.75KB nine0006
- ballet dancer, Ballet Tutu Repetto Ballet, ballet dancer, girl, shoe, ballet Shoe png 850x750px 175.06KB
- Natya Shastra Visual arts Dance Bharatanatyam Costume, navratri, miscellaneous, performance, dance png 1397x2273px 2.48MB
- dancing woman on floor illustration, Natya shastra Kuchipudi Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam, Lord Krishna, miscellaneous, religion, dance png 1024x768px 797.16KB
- Manjula Natya Shastra Bharatanatyam Indian classical dance, onam, miscellaneous, performance, dance png 1004x2181px 3.02MB nine0006
- Spain Flamenco Dance, others, miscellaneous, monochrome, dance png 500x835px 327.14KB
- Rajasthan Graphic design Kalbeliya, indian dance, miscellaneous, poster, monochrome png 600x849px 575.85KB
- Folk crafts of Karnataka Folk dance Mailatatam, onam, miscellaneous, purple, culture png 1400x1765px 577.52KB
- Belly dance Folk dance Middle Eastern dance Pole, belly dance, hair Accessory, bride, dance png 650x842px 481.87KB nine0006
- dancing woman, Belly dance Ballet Dancer, Peacock, animals, peacock Feather, fictional Character png 1284x2869px 554.18KB
- Russian folk dance Performing arts Costume, Azarova, traditions, folk Dance, dance png 700x500px 247.39KB
- 18th century Costume design France Fashion, france, middle Ages, vintage Clothing, vintage png 1817x2400px 5.46MB
- Belly dance Middle Eastern dance Belly teacher, others, blue, abdomen, dance png 361x887px 134.32KB nine0006
- Sherwani Robe Shalwar kameez, dress, fashion, clothes Hanger, kurta png 1600x1066px 1.93MB
Difference between Bharatanatyam and Kathak
Both bharatanatyam and kathak are very different from each other not only in their meaning, but also have different characteristics.
Bharatanatyam vs. Kathak
The difference between Bharatanatyam and Kathak is that Bharatanatyam is a dance that is usually developed or based on the stories of Shiva. On the other hand, Kathak develops or is based on tales or stories about Radha and Krishna. nine0065
The word Bha in Bharatanatyam means emotion, which is also called bhava, RA means music, which is also called Raaga, Ta means rhythm, which is also called Taal, and Natyam, which means dance. Thus, the word Bharatanatyam means dance with rhythm, expression and music, and is closely related to Natyashastra, which means the scripture of classical Indian dance.
The word kathak comes from the Vedic Sanskrit word katha; it also means kathak and "history" which means telling a story. It is also considered one of the eight significant forms of Indian classical dance. nine0215 Begotten
What is Bharatanatyam?
Bharatanatyam is considered an art practiced by temple dancers. Karnati music is played during the dance. This dance is also performed in the court of the South Indian king.
Dancers use many hip movements and mudras. dancing. Because of the movement, half of the stage space is occupied by dancers.
The movements performed by Bharatanatyam dancers resemble the movement of fire or flame. The Bharatanatyam dance is based or developed around the stories of Lord Shiva. nine0065
This is a dance in which the dancers mostly sit or dance with bent knees. The dancers had unique costumes that come in many different designs and unique decorations depending on the performance of the dancers.
Dresses worn by dancers do not hinder movement during dancing. Dresses in Bharatanatyam are very elegant and majestic.
Dancers put on heavy makeup and hair to look good. In Bharatanatyam, different instruments are played such as mridangam, veena, violin and nagaswaram. nine0065
It is also believed that Bharatanatyam was created by S. Krishna Iyer in the mid-thirties, which was later distributed by Rukmini Devi Arundale. The history of Bharatanatyam dates back to 2 to centuries through text in Natya Shastra and Muni.
What is Kathak?
Kathak is an Indian classical dance usually performed by dancers at the court of a Muslim king. People used to believe that the kathak dance tells the story of Rasalil, which Radha and Krishna perform in the forest. nine0065
In Kathak, the dance movement is always a standing pose throughout the performance. He also has no or limited hip movement in the dance.
Because Kathak tells the story of Radha and Krishna, and people believe that while performing the role of Krishna, the dancer sometimes appears dreamy and slightly closes his eyes as they don't make eye contact with anyone. The costumes worn by the dancers during performance are usually for women, while the dhoti is for men.
Long skirt and top, also known as lehenga and choli, are also worn by kathak dancers. During the Mughal period, male kathak dancers also wore the kurta churidar with a cap. nine0065
Various instruments are also played during the dance - some instruments such as sarod, sarangi, sitar, bansuri, ghungaru and harmonium. Kathak mainly originated during the bhakti movement.
This classical dance also dates back to 400 BC, its earlier wise name was Natya Shastra.
Main differences between bharatanatyam and kathak
- Both are different types of Indian classical dance performed in other parts of the country. nine0006
- Bharatanatyam is mainly practiced in southern India. On the other hand, Kathak is mainly practiced in northern India.
- Bharatanatyam was mainly developed or based on the stories of Shiva. On the other hand, Kathak develops or is based on the tales or stories of Radha and Krishna.