How to start a majorette dance team
How to Start a Competition Dance Team
March 31, 2015 Dance Competitions Eric Housh
When you’ve been running a successful recreational dance studio for a couple years and have some amazingly talented students in your classrooms, you might start to think about ways to show the world how great your dancers are. What better way to do that than start a competitive dance team at your studio? If you’re wondering how to start a competition dance team, follow these easy steps.
Before you jump head-on into planning, it’s a good idea to see how many of your students would be interested in joining a competition team. Some may be too busy with other sports or extracurriculars to dedicate enough practice time, and others might not be able to afford the additional costs of competitions. You can gauge interest by talking to parents and students or sending out a survey to everyone. Make sure you have a solid group of students on board before making any definitive decisions.
Once you’ve determined that your dancers are ready and able to take their dancing to the next level, you’ll want to hold tryouts for your new competition team. There are a number of different ways that you can structure tryouts – your needs will dictate which method works best in your studio. Varsity.com explained that some studios hold open tryouts where any student can apply to be on the team. In this type of situation, you’ll likely have to make cuts, so be prepared to give your dancers honest feedback.
Another common method of recruiting dancers is to have “invitation only” tryouts. This strategy ensures that only dancers who are advanced enough for the rigors of competition will be considered. It can help spare your novice dancers the rejection of being cut and makes your job easier, as you’ll likely have fewer students to consider.
Whichever method you choose, it’s best to hold a meeting with parents before or during tryouts to explain the expected costs and time commitments that come along with competitive dance. The last thing you want is to select the perfect team only to have half drop out because of the price.
Schedule Practices and Outline Expectations
After you have a great group of dancers on your new team, you’ll need to create a practice schedule that works for all parties involved. Ideally, it shouldn’t interfere with their other dance classes or outside activities. However, the reality is that you may not be able to find a time that works for everyone. Do the best you can and make compromises whenever possible.
You’ll also need to outline your expectations for this new group. How many practices are they able to miss? What happens when they show up late? How far in advance do you need costume payments? Are there certain behaviors you expect dancers to uphold as representatives of your team? These are all important considerations to take into account. Competition teams generally have strict guidelines for dancers because if just one person is missing, the whole practice can be thrown off and the team may suffer.
Hone Your Skills
Once the paperwork is filled out and expectations are set, it’s time to do what you do best – practice! Start creating routines, building team bonds and preparing your dancers for competition life. You may want to bring in guest speakers who have experience in competitive dance or attend a local competition to see what the atmosphere is like. Some competitive teams also require their students to attend certain camps to work on skills and technique, but this should depend on whether your students are willing and able to do so.
When you think your team is ready, pick your first competition and go for it! Whether you win or lose, you’ll be on your way to creating a strong, covetable competition dance team.
Power House Divas | The Diva University
Power House Divas
Majorette Dance Team
$100 Per Month
Power House Divas (Missouri) (PHD) is a majorette dance team based out of Saint Louis and Kansas City, Missouri. PHD services youth ages 8-18 and specializes in community majorette dance, hip hop dance, pom dance, and more! PHD competes in competitions and performs for several community events such as the St. Louis Surge Basketball Games and the Annie Malone May Day Parade.
About Power House Divas
As a team comprised of young African-American women, Power House Divas holds their dancers to a high standard with regards to respecting both themselves and others; both in person and on social media platforms. PHD takes pride in their reputation and how they are perceived amongst others. PHD teaches the dancers that respect must not only be received, but first given.
As a member of PHD, having a sense of Power means to be strong, resilient, and fearless. Our dancers are taught that if you get knocked down, you get back up; if you don’t get it on the first try, work harder and try again; don’t ever feel defeated, because you can do anything you set your mind to. We strive to teach our youth that they are powerful. .. not just on the dance floor, but with anything they set their minds to in life.
-Competitive Team (Rookies/Vets Cuts Required)
PHD is a high-intensity, fast-paced, and explosive hip hop majorette dance team that focuses on self-expression, creativity, crowd entertainment, and street dance. Members are required to pass the Pre-majorette prerequisite course before selecting the PHD Course. PHD members undergo extended choreography rehearsals, disciplined training, and a strenuous selection process (cuts) before performing or competing. After meeting all requirements, PHD members participate in parades, community events, performances, and hip hop majorette competitions. Members also get to travel, participate in fundraisers, and join team bonding events. Members can enroll in any competitive course simultaneously.
Intermediate Parade 300
Intermediate Pom Dance 306
Intermediate Majorette Dance 310
Intermediate Hip Hop 311
Advanced Pom Dance 406
Advanced Majorette Dance 410
Advanced Hip Hop 411
The ultimate responsibility of a Power House Diva is to compete at their highest level of potential and promote team spirit by demonstrating a positive attitude at performances and events.
Our mission as PHD coaches, PHD parents, and members of PHD is to create a positive and supportive team atmosphere. We will encourage our dancers to become great athletes, students, and young women, as well as encourage them to be active in the community. We will always make decisions based on the best interest of the team. We will show mutual respect and have open communication among all dancers, parents and coaches.
Our primary focus will be on dancing and developing a program that will promote a successful reputation both individually and as a team.
Power House Divas (PHD) was founded on May 5th, 2018 in Florissant, MO by Tesha Alexander and Brandi Richardson. Although their goal was to get the youth active through their passion for dance, PHD was not just a dance team, but a ministry. Our coaching staff took pride in building relationships with the girls and the parents, and always tried to be the helping hand if ever in need. PHD was founded on 3 main principles: Education, Respect, and Power.
Since the beginning, we ensured to instill the importance of education in our girls. This included regular progress report checks, one on one tutoring sessions, and help with additional education resources.
PHD has been awarded several honors, awards, and Grand Championships. PHD has also been a regularly featured team at the St. Louis Surge Women’s Basketball Games, and has been very involved in community events such as the Dwann Dillon Colon Cancer Foundation, the Great Rivers Greenway Organization, and the Angel Tree sponsored by the Salvation Army.
Theater of small forms "Entrakt" one of the oldest groups in the city and MBU Palace of Arts (founded in 1993). For 24 years, the theater has been directed by a well-known director in the city - Zhanna Rustyamovna Shamsutdinova. For active work in promoting amateur art and high performing skills in 2000, the team was awarded the honorary title of "folk amateur team".
The activities of the team are in demand in the socio-cultural life of the city and the district, they have been awarded many awards: the city competition of New Year's theatrical performances - Diploma of the 1st degree; city theater festival "Genre" -2000 - Diploma in the nomination "Best work of the artist"; city theater festival "Genre - 2001" - Diploma in the nomination "Children's play performance", Khanty-Mansiysk; Festival "II District Congress of Santa Clauses" - 1st place in the nomination "Best Snow Maiden", 1st place in the nomination "Best Game Program" Khanty - Mansiysk, IV District Congress of Santa Clauses and Snow Maidens - Diploma of II degree in the nomination "Best Game Program" for adults”, Diploma in the nomination “Best Santa Claus costume”, Diploma for the role of “Santa Claus”, Diploma for the role of “Snow Maiden”. nine0003
Theatrical performances of the "Entrakt" team, timed to coincide with the mass city holidays "Wide Maslenitsa", City Day, the ceremony of lighting the city Christmas tree, Victory Day, Children's Day, dedication to first-graders, National Unity Day, the Samotlor Nights festival, etc. , are always warmly welcomed by Vartovites for their sparkling humor, colorfulness and originality.
This is evidenced by stormy applause and warm words from the most grateful audience - children and adolescents. nine0003
The younger generation, constantly replenishing the core team, joins the creative process with interest and absorbs the professionalism of experienced participants.
To date, the theater group "Antrakt" has vast experience and great potential for solving new creative challenges, implementing innovative projects to popularize theatrical art.
What is a theater troupe for teenagers? We will answer unequivocally, this is a great place where each participant can improve, develop, acquire new creative skills, perform on the professional stage of the Palace of Arts and large stage venues in the city. Similar conditions are provided for adults. nine0003
Classes in the amateur theater-studio "Antrakt" provide its participants not only with development, but also with the opportunity to relieve unnecessary stress, laugh, and calm down after hard everyday life. After all, not everyone wants to connect their life with the theater - all people are different.
And if you are going to express yourself, realize your acting potential inherent in you by nature, connect your life with the theater, then all the more you need to enroll in the Intermission theater of small spectacular forms. Here you will find exciting classes in plastic and stage speech, game technology and acting skills. nine0003
List of achievements of the "Antrakt" theater over the past three years:
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the International multi-genre children's, adult, professional Russian-Belarusian competition "Star Way" St. Petersburg, in the nomination theater with a performance based on story by Ray Bradbury "All summer in one day;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree International project "Musical Star Olympus" St. Petersburg competition in theatrical disciplines and artistic word - "Creativity without borders", performance "Harem for Cinderella"; nine0003
Ø Laureates of the II degree of the International Distance Competition-Festival of Arts "Art Trophy, Moscow, in the nomination "artistic word", a literary composition based on folk proverbs and sayings "What is the soul - such is the language";
Ø Laureate of the II degree of the International remote competition-festival of arts "Art Trophy, Moscow, with the support of the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation in the nomination "theatrical art", literary and musical staging based on the fairy tale by K. I. Chukovsky "Fly-Tsokotuha"; nine0003
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree L of the International Competition of theatrical creativity in Novosibirsk, the Fund for Supporting Talented Children and Youth in the nomination "Theatre", Ray Bradbury's performance "All Summer in One Day";
Ø Grand Prix of the XII All-Russian festival-competition "I can" children's and youth competition with international participation in the nomination "Theatrical creativity. Drama Theatre”, literary and musical production of “Fly-Tsokotuha” by K.I. Chukovsky”, issued by the St. Petersburg Education Committee on 03/08/2021, License No. 2017
Ø Letter of thanks from the Nizhnevartovsk Multidisciplinary Rehabilitation Center for the Disabled, 2021;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the International multi-genre children's, adult and professional competition "Northern Starfall", the project "Musical Star Olympus" in the theater nomination, performance "The strength of the spirit of a woman during the Great Patriotic War", age category 15-17 years Nizhnevartovsk
Ø Laureate of the II degree of the International multi-genre children's, adult and professional competition "Northern Starfall", the project "Musical Star Olympus" in the theater nomination, production "White Panamas on Ladoga", age category 8-12 years old Nizhnevartovsk
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree LIII International competition of theatrical creativity
"Star project" in the nomination theater, literary and plastic composition "The strength of the spirit of a woman during the Great Patriotic War", Novosibirsk, age category
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree LIII International competition of theatrical creativity "Star Project" in the nomination theater, literary and plastic composition "White panamas on Ladoga", Novosibirsk, age category 15-17 years
Ø Laureate of the I degree LIII International competition of theatrical creativity "Star project" in the nomination theater, Literary and plastic composition "White Panamas on Ladoga, Novosibirsk, age category 8-12 years old
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the International Children's, Adult, Professional Theatrical Art Competition "Golden Mask" as part of the multi-genre project "Musical Star Olympus", with the support of the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation in the nomination - artistic word " What is the soul, such is the language”, a literary composition based on folk proverbs and sayings, Khanty-Mansiysk;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the International Children's, Adult, Professional Theatrical Art Competition "Golden Mask" within the framework of the multi-genre project "Musical Star Olympus", with the support of the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation in the nomination "theatre", production of "The Fly-Sokotuha" literary and musical staging based on the fairy tale by K. I. Chukovsky city "Musical Star Olympus", with the support of the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation, Khanty-Mansiysk; nine0003
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the XLIX International Theater Competition, Fund for Supporting Talented Children and Youth, Novosibirsk, in the theater nomination, literary and musical composition "Children of War" "Barbarism" by Musa Jalil;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the XLIX International Competition of Theatrical Creativity Foundation for the Support of Talented Children and Youth, Novosibirsk, in the nomination theatrical performance, the composition “People do not forget history”;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the XLIX International Competition of Theatrical Creativity, Fund for Supporting Talented Children and Youth, Novosibirsk, in the nomination of the theatrical performance "Fly-Tsokotuha" by K. I. Chukovsky; nine0003
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the XLIX International Competition of theatrical creativity, fund for the support of talented children and youth, Novosibirsk, in the nomination "Hello, my father's land" Yu. N.Shestalov;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree of the XLIX International Competition of theatrical creativity, fund for the support of talented children and youth, Novosibirsk, in the nomination of the artistic word "My Misne" Yu.N. Shestalov;
Ø 1st place, urban Internet competition “We talk about war in verses” dedicated to the 75th anniversary of V.O.V., organizer of MBU “BIS”, Nizhnevartovsk; nine0003
Ø Laureate of the II degree of the XLIX International Competition of theatrical creativity, the fund for supporting talented children and youth, Novosibirsk, in the nomination of the artistic word, an excerpt from the story "The Secret of Sorni-Nai" Yu.N.Shestalov;
Ø Laureate of the II degree of the XLIX International Competition of theatrical creativity, fund for supporting talented children and youth, Novosibirsk, in the nomination of the artistic word "Spirits are elected" Yu.N.Shestalov;
Ø GRAND PRIX city competition of readers "Yugorsky Krai in verse and prose" to the anniversary of 90-year formation of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug in Nizhnevartovsk;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree International Competition-Festival "Russian Starfall" in the nomination "Theater", production "Children of War", Nizhnevartovsk;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree 3rd International competition-festival "Russian starfall" in the nomination "Theater", performance "People do not forget History", the festival with the support of the state program of the Ministry of Culture, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Nizhnevartovsk; nine0003
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree International competition-festival "Shine of the North" in the category of theatrical genre, Tyumen;
Ø Laureate of the 1st degree International competition-festival "Shine of the North" in the nomination "Artistic word" A. Apukhtin "Crazy", Tyumen;
Ø Laureate of the 2nd degree International Competition-Festival "Shine of the North" in the nomination "artistic word" S. Yesenin "Goy, you are Rus'" Nizhnevartovsk;
Ø Laureate of the 2nd degree International competition-festival "Shine of the North" in the nomination of the artistic word A. Kuprin "Garnet bracelet" Nizhnevartovsk"; nine0003
Like a parade! The Derzhava group of drummers from Ufa is known in Europe and the East
We managed to talk to one of the Derzhava members, Elvina Rakhmatullina.
- Elvina, tell me: who are the majorettes?
- Initially, majorettes are girls in stylized hussar uniforms who are participants in processions and parades. In their hands they either have loaves (metal wands with rubber tips), or flags and pompons. Currently, it is a separate movement in sports and culture. Majorettes participate in parades, perform in stage performances, and even in sports there is a separate direction - twirling. By the way, twirling claims to be included in the list of Olympic sports! Our team consists of drummers who are engaged, among other things, in the art of majorettes. We love this unique alloy. nine0003
- How long have you been in the team?
- I came to Derzhava in 2015, when I entered the Bashkir State Pedagogical University named after I.I. M. Akmulla. For the first time I saw girls in hussar costumes at BSPU on September 1, 2015 and just fell in love with them! How clearly they marched, beat the rhythm on the drums, twisted the button! It just blew me away at the time. I signed up and came to the selection. I still remember how I tried to pull my leg, march correctly, keep my back, smile, and the selection, I must say, was strict. I am extremely glad that I passed all the tests, learned everything and for the third year I have been a member of my beloved “Derzhava”. nine0003
- So the casting was serious? What qualities should a participant have?
– Girls are selected very seriously in the team, according to certain requirements. First of all - a good sense of rhythm, musicality. It is also important that the girl be of good appearance, taller than 170 cm, with a slender figure. After the formation of the preparatory group, the girls learn the repertoire and within a year they move into the concert line-up of the group.
- Did I understand correctly: all the participants of the "Derzhava" are university students? nine0028
– Yes, the members of our group are exclusively students of the Belarusian State Pedagogical University. Akmulla, since our team is based on the basis of the university and we are actively supported by the administration and personally by the rector Rail Mirvayevich Asadullin. The university helps us in everything: it acquires equipment, sews costumes, and provides a platform for rehearsals. And we are very grateful for everything to the administration of the Belarusian State Pedagogical University. Akmulla, Rail Mirvayevich, vice-rectorate, administration, and everyone who supports us at the university.
- How are your rehearsals going?
- "Derzhava" is, first of all, a friendly team. And so, coming to the rehearsal, you find yourself in a light and warm atmosphere. Rehearsals are held at the university twice a week. Before responsible speeches, we gather every day.
– What numbers do you have now?
- At the moment we have a very extensive repertoire. Basically, these are concert numbers of a patriotic nature: there are numbers dedicated to the Victory in the Great Patriotic War; there are various parade march numbers; numbers dedicated to Russia and Bashkortostan. Also in the arsenal there are dance compositions with loaves, drums, flags, pompoms and vales. In the process of creating the performances, we try to make the performances bright, interesting and colorful: we improve the skill of playing the drums and spinning the long loaves, create new images in costumes, include dance movements, spectacular elements. nine0003
- You often perform at international events, tell us where the team has been, for example, over the past year?
- A year ago, in February 2017, we, the only team from Russia, were invited to the carnival in Nice. This is one of the oldest carnivals in the world - a bright, colorful, magnificent show, from which we received a lot of emotions and inspiration! From communication with the audience, we were overwhelmed with energy! And what was our surprise when we were invited to the next year, and after all, according to the rules, the team has the right to perform only once every five years. That's how we liked the audience and the organizers! Of course, we accepted the invitation and went this year, we wanted to feel these emotions again, to see this splendor and grandeur of the carnival again! And we succeeded, even inclement weather did not interfere at all. nine0003
At the same time, another part of our team was briskly and clearly striding on the other side of the globe - in Beijing, to the beat of drums and dancing of Bashkir girls, the Chinese celebrated the New Year. Our girls, together with NANT "Lace" went to China and just as worthily represented Russia.
Last December we were lucky enough to be parades in the UAE. We were invited to the celebration of the 46th anniversary of the United Arab Emirates in Dubai. Every day we went to one of the emirates and participated in processions. Oriental people are very closed, but by their phones, which did not stop taking pictures and filming us, we realized that they like our work. The organizers asked us to stay for a couple of days and speak again, but the session began and we had to leave. nine0003
– Are you the only team of its kind in the republic?
- Yes, in the Republic of Bashkortostan, there is no one like ours: with so many participants, an extensive repertoire and a huge amount of experience. 10 years ago, Vera Grigorievna Pryzhankova, our leader, saw the need to create such a team and turned this idea into reality. And graduates of different years also created their teams in various parts of the republic: in Akyar, in Davlekanovo, in Ufa. nine0003
- You had a big anniversary concert not so long ago, how did it go?
- A concert dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the band's creative life was held in March at the GDK. We have been preparing for it for a very long time, had many serious rehearsals, added several new numbers to the repertoire. In the organization of the concert, in addition to the concert staff, graduates, the preparatory staff, the Eurasia group, the orchestra of the Gymnasium named after. Almukhametova, students of gymnasium No. 3. The concert was held in one breath, we got a lot of emotions. There were a lot of warm and enthusiastic reviews from the audience. We sincerely thank the artists Diyana Ishniyazova, Radmir Khasanov, Almaz Ayupov, Alina Gataullina, Ashot Babadzhanov, Danis Fattakhov, and everyone who helped us make this concert. nine0003
- Such a beautiful band must have a lot of fans, right?
– Thank you for the compliment! Many bands have fans or lovers of their work.