How to remove body odor from dance costumes
Bra/Belt Sets: Planning Ahead
Many working dancers will hand-sew felt linings into their new bra/belt sets before the first wearing, using a long, loose stitch. After this felt has absorbed enough perspiration to be unpleasant, it can be easily removed and replaced with fresh felt.
There are several approaches that dancers use to remove smells from costumes. If one doesn't work, try another!
Working dancers can avoid odor build-up in their costumes through proper costume care and storage.
This entire web site is copyrighted. All rights reserved.
All articles, images, forms, scripts, directories, and product reviews on this web site are the property of Shira unless a different author/artist is identified. Material from this web site may not be posted on any other web site unless permission is first obtained from Shira.
Academic papers for school purposes may use information from this site only if the paper properly identifies the original article on Shira.net using appropriate citations (footnotes, end notes, etc.) and bibliography. Consult your instructor for instructions on how to do this.
If you wish to translate articles from Shira.net into a language other than English, Shira will be happy to post your translation here on Shira.net along with a note identifying you as the translator. This could include your photo and biography if you want it to. Contact Shira for more information. You may not post translations of Shira's articles on anybody else's web site, not even your own.
If you are a teacher, performer, or student of Middle Eastern dance, you may link directly to any page on this web site from either your blog or your own web site without first obtaining Shira's permission. Click here for link buttons and other information on how to link.
"How To Wash A Dance Costume" Video Tutorial
If we have to pick one single piece of advice it’s this: don’t be afraid to wash your costume!
We know, we know! The thought of something going wrong and potentially ruining your costume is enough to make you want to ignore the stinky mess! But not cleaning your costume can potentially cause more damage than just the smell factor.
Laundering your garment to promote longevity and to keep it sparkling fresh. With proper care, a well-constructed garment should last you several years. Rest assured, you can easily do it yourself without risking damage to your costume.
Check out the video tutorial and tips below from the experts in our laundry department on how to wash a dance costume, cheer uniform, or skating dress without worry!
How to Wash A Dance Costume or Skating Dress in 6 Basic Steps
Step 1: Do Not Dry Clean
The thought of handing off the messy task to a professional may seem enticing, but don’t even think about dry cleaning your costume!
Why? The chemicals used in the dry cleaning process can actually damage specialty fabrics and adhesive applied finishes. These items will all will all dull, reducing their sparkle factor:
- Fabrics with a shiny or foil finish like hologram
- Spangles and sequins
We’ve heard a few horror stories of all of the rhinestones falling off a costume after dry-cleaning. Considering the amount of time and energy it takes to apply stones by hand, re-stoning is a task no one would want to repeat!
Step 2: Spot Clean as Needed
Before washing, spot clean troublesome areas with a spot cleaner. It’s best to use a product that is gentle and won’t damage your specialty fabrics.
- We DO recommend:
- Stain Remedy from Forever New
- Carbona Stain Devils
- Carbona Color Run Remover
- DIY solution: 1 part Dawn dish soap combined with 1 part hydrogen peroxide, stir lightly to blend
- Rubbing Alcohol (for removing rhinestone glue only)
- We DON'T recommend:
- Household detergents - they are too harsh and may leave permanent damage
- Bleach - never use bleach!
For more advice on removing specific stains, check out these separate video tutorials:
- Intro : How to Remove Stains from Your Dance Costume
- #1: Self Tanner
- #2: Lipstick & Makeup
- #3: Color Bleed & Perspiration
- #4: Permanent Marker
- #5: Rhinestone Glue
Step 3: Hand Wash
What's worse than a stinky or stained costume? How about one that is ruined beyond repair. Regular hand washing can actually extend the life of your costume by removing perspiration and chemical residues (like hairspray and makeup), which promote wear and break down specialty fabrics.
- What you'll need:
- Wash Basin
- Carbona Color Run Remover
- Mild detergent (such as Forever New or Dreft)
- Mesh Laundry Bag
- Prepare a wash basin with cold water. This is crucial!
- Add detergent - Add a small amount of mild detergent such as Forever New or Dreft.
- Avoid harsh chemicals - we do not recommend using common household laundry detergents, even if they say they’re mild! And, it is important you do not use bleach! Don’t be fooled by Woolite though, it’s not actually a mild soap! We don’t recommend it.
- Prevent color bleeding - If you have colors that could bleed, add ice, or Carbona Color Grabber to the basin.
- Use a mesh laundry bag - For garments with rhinestones, heat transfer sequin and vinyl turn the piece inside-out and place it in a garment bag before washing to protect against abrasion.
- Wash gently - Place your garment in the prepared wash basin and gently scrub. Do not soak or leave your costume unattended while washing.
- Rinse with cold water to remove the soap.
- Remove excess water - Promptly remove your costume from the basin and gently ring and blot out excess water. You may need to use several light towels or a friend to help this process! Continue until you have no excess water dripping from the garment!
Step 4: Hang to Dry
Once the water has been properly removed from the garment, hang it in a dry area. If you have multiple pieces, make sure to keep the garments separated. Never hang them together and avoid having them touch each other – especially with dark colors next to light colors.
And never put your costume in the dryer! Your spandex-based fabric is made up of elastic fibers, meaning it will shrink when exposed to heat! Definitely not fun.
Step 5: Do Not Iron - Use a Steamer
The best way to get any wrinkles out of your garment is to use a steamer! Whatever you do, don’t use an iron! Your specialty fabrics will melt if an iron is applied, leaving burn marks.
Step 6 - Clean & Dry Storage
The only way to store your garments should be to hang them in a garment bag. Avoid plastic or nylon bags, as these will trap odors, letting them fester and grow. Please don’t throw them in your gym bag either!
We recommend hanging your costume in a breathable garment bag – believe it or not, a pillowcase with a hole cut at the top is a great option. And ALWAYS make sure your garments are dry before storing. Damp items will mold or mildew, and again, lead to a smelly mess.
Hopefully this helps take away the anxiety of garment care - if you follow these 6 steps, you’ll have your garment "so fresh and so clean, clean" in no-time!
Still have anxiety about garment care or don't have time to tackle the job yourself? No worries! We’re equipped with a talented team of cleaning experts that can have your dance costume, skate dress, or cheerleading uniform sparkling in no time! Contact us to inquire about our washing services!
How to remove smell from clothes: effective ways, means
Clothes help others to make an impression of us. Therefore, it is necessary to monitor the condition of the fabric and the absence of an unpleasant odor. Being able to remove any smell from clothes is as important as taking a shower and changing clothes every day. There are proven homemade recipes to keep your things fresh.
the beauty nine0003
The fabric absorbs odors well - you might like it if you wear your favorite perfume. But such a property of clothing plays against you in the case of the smell of sweat, tobacco or dampness. We have collected the best tips on how to get rid of the smell on clothes. nine0003
How to remove the smell of sweat from clothes
The smell of sweat is an unpleasant but common problem. Despite the fact that the secretions of the human body are absolutely natural, it is unlikely that anyone will like to feel the strong aroma of sweat from themselves, relatives or colleagues.
How to remove the smell of sweat from clothes with laundry soap
We invite you to remember the glorious tradition and always keep a bar of laundry soap at home. This is a universal tool for solving many everyday problems. nine0003
In particular, it will help to remove the smell of sweat from clothes, including underarms.
Laundry soap is not suitable for bright fabrics. The color may fade.
How to remove the smell of sweat from clothes with vinegar and soda
The smell of stale clothes can be very persistent, especially if you have worn them for many days in a row without changing them. A mixture of baking soda and vinegar will help against the stubborn smell of sweat. To remove a strong smell from clothes under the arms, you need to know how to properly dilute the acid solution. nine0003
- Add 100-150 ml of vinegar to warm water and place dirty clothes in it.
- Leave the clothes to soak for a few hours and then wash them in the washing machine with a few teaspoons of baking soda in the washing powder.
How to Remove Sweat Smell from Clothes with Salt
Salt is an all-purpose home remedy for various types of stains. It will help answer the question of how to remove an unpleasant smell from clothes using an affordable and cheap remedy. nine0003
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of salt in a glass of water and apply to the spots.
- Leave on for 1-2 hours and then wash clothes as usual.
By the way, ordinary salt can also remove the smell of oil from clothes, now we’ll tell you how.
Sprinkle salt on the stain and wait 30 minutes.
Wash the product with soap by hand or with powder in the machine.
Use a salt solution (1 tablespoon to 1 glass of water) for problem areas on silk or linen clothing. nine0003
How to remove the smell of sweat from clothes without washing
The most obvious way to remove the smell of sweat from clothes is to wash them. But there are some tricks that will allow you to deal with this problem without washing. Here are a few ways:
- Try putting your clothes in the freezer for a few hours.
- Sprinkle baking soda on soiled areas and rub into a cloth. Leave overnight. Shake off the soda in the morning.
- Apply vinegar to stains. Dry your clothes. nine0038
These methods are good if you are in a hurry and cannot wait for your clothes to dry. Or, for example, the water was turned off at home. Removing the smell from clothes without washing is quite acceptable, how to apply an emergency measure. The thing will still not be completely fresh. Wash it as soon as possible.
How to remove the smell of dampness from clothes
Musty smells from clothes often appear as a result of improper storage. It is recommended to periodically air out the things that you have hung in the closet until the next season. Washed items should not be stored together with stale ones. If you find a terrible damp smell and don't know how to quickly remove the smell from your clothes, put the item in the freezer. Usually this is enough. But in more problematic cases, you can use vinegar, soda, ammonia, citric acid. nine0003
How to remove mildew smell from clothes
Unpleasant damp odor can appear on clothes as a result of infection with mold spores. This happens, for example, if you leave things for several days in the washing machine. To get rid of amber, use vinegar or soda. Proceed as follows:
- Put the item in the washing machine, add the standard amount of powder.
- Add baking soda or vinegar to water. When the washer is full, pour in a glass of this solution or fill the liquid detergent drawer with it. nine0038
- Hang clothes to dry in a well-ventilated place.
Even if you know how to remove musty smells from clothes, it is better not to forget to hang things out after washing or when damp and crumpled.
How to get second hand smell out of clothes
Second hand is an economical option for those who are ready to hunt for the perfect item. Sometimes there are amazing finds. However, anyone who has ever bought used clothes knows the characteristic smell of second-hand clothes. This caustic fragrance appears as a result of processing things with formaldehyde, and it can be very difficult to remove it. nine0003
We will show you how to remove the smell of second-hand clothes from clothes if you value the habit of shopping in such stores. The method is very simple.
Washing with a long rinse and drying clothes thoroughly for at least a day can help. If the smell persists, use ammonia. Prepare a solution of 10% ammonia with water. For small things, calculate the amount of ammonia from the proportion of 20 ml per 5 liters of water. For large ones - 100 ml per 10 liters of water. Soak the item in this solution for an hour. nine0003
How to remove the smell from the closet with clothes
Closets with clothes require regular ventilation and drying. To do this, completely empty the wardrobe and dry it with a hair dryer. Periodically, you can carry out wet cleaning with a cleaner with wax for wood. Experienced housewives use soap bars, citrus peel, coffee beans to flavor the interior of the cabinet. Simply place your chosen material in woven bags and arrange on the shelves.
How to remove the smell of urine from clothes
You can get rid of the smell of baby urine with the help of folk remedies. Apply a solution of salt (1 tablespoon to 1 glass of water) or vinegar (1 teaspoon to 1 glass of water) to the stain. Wait 15 minutes and wash the item with soap.
Animal excrement is a little more complicated. A solution of hydrogen peroxide or potassium permanganate helps to remove the cat smell from clothes as efficiently as possible. First, treat the area with a solution of vinegar (4 tablespoons per 1 cup of water). Pour soda on top, after 5 minutes rub the area with a sponge dipped in peroxide. nine0003
How to remove the smell of gasoline from clothes
Petroleum products have very strong odors. Sometimes every visit to the gas station turns into a subsequent war with smells. If the thing is soaked with gasoline, you first need to ventilate it thoroughly. Let it hang for at least a day, preferably outdoors or in a ventilated room.
Then rinse with water. Let it dry and then wash with laundry soap. After that, you can run the clothes in the washing machine, but separately from other things. If the fabric allows, set the maximum temperature. nine0003
If you encounter diesel fuel, take soda. How to save a thing and remove the smell of diesel fuel from clothes?
- Soak clothes in a saturated solution and leave for 4 hours.
- Machine wash with good detergent and fabric softener.
- Arrange an extra rinse.
- Air dry.
How to remove the smell of cigarettes from clothes
After a long stay in a smoky room, getting rid of the smell of tobacco becomes a paramount task. Washing clothes in a typewriter at the highest temperature and pre-soaking in a solution of vinegar and soda for an hour will help to cope with it. To completely remove the smell from clothes, after performing these procedures, things must be thoroughly dried. nine0003
By the way, table vinegar helps both with the stench from cigarettes and, if necessary, to remove the smell of perfume from clothes. Only in this case, you need to rinse the item in the solution after washing - 1 glass per 5 liters of water. Spare no water after that, to remove the vinegar flavor as well.
Photo by Getty Images
How to remove the smell of sweat from clothes
May 3 2019
It's so nice to be around someone who smells good! And I really want us to smell just as good. Often this is prevented by the smell of sweat. How to remove the smell of sweat and refresh clothes? nine0003
To do this, you can use a variety of methods - from improvised folk remedies to potent specific compounds.
The most obvious and effective way is to wash smelly clothes, but sometimes this is not possible. In this case, the thing is processed locally, only in problem areas.
How to remove the smell of sweat from clothes without washing
- Mix 1 tbsp. salt, 1 tsp ammonia and 200 ml of water. Gently apply the mixture to the problem area. Wait a bit, blot moisture with a cotton swab, dry the thing. This method is suitable for synthetic and natural fabrics, with the exception of chiffon and other delicate fabrics. nine0038
- Ordinary vodka will help to remove the smell of sweat from clothes without washing. It is applied to the desired area with a richly moistened swab, left for 2 hours. Then the thing is cleaned with a steam iron and dried.
- An ozonator helps to eliminate unpleasant odors from clothes. An unpleasant smelling thing is treated with an ozonizer, and the smell disappears completely. The effectiveness of using ozone lies in the fact that it acts on the cause. It does not camouflage the smell, but destroys bacteria and their metabolic products. As a result, the smell disappears. It is worth noting that ozone is a universal remedy: it also effectively fights odors of any origin. nine0038
- You can try to remove the smell of sweat from clothes with baking soda. The fabric is slightly moistened, rubbed with soda and left for 15-20 minutes. Then the soda is removed with a cotton swab.
- Food grade vinegar is an excellent odor remover. The problem area should be sprinkled with 9% vinegar.
It is advisable to use the above methods without washing the whole thing in conditions of lack of time or opportunity, but not always.
How to remove the smell of sweat from clothes when washing
It's better to wash clothes with an unpleasant odor regularly. If the normal washing cycle does not remove the unpleasant odor, you can apply one of the following tips:
- Before washing, the item with the smell of sweat should be soaked for 30-40 minutes in water with vinegar or laundry soap.
- If, before washing, pour 2-3 tablespoons of soda into the drum of the machine and pour in 100 ml of 9% vinegar, the smell of sweat is washed off clothes much better.
- Bleach and stain removers are the most effective means of removing sweat odor from clothes. These funds are added to the powder compartment for the main wash. nine0038
- Intensive Rinse helps to remove unpleasant odors from delicate items.
- Fabric softeners are great for all odors, not just sweat.
- Warm clothes and outerwear cannot always be washed at home. Take advantage of dry cleaning services. And the thing will retain its appearance, and the unpleasant smell and pollution will disappear.
- The old smell of sweat is well removed with citric acid and vinegar. The thing is first treated with a solution (2 tsp of citric acid and 100 ml of water), left for 20-30 minutes. Rinse well. Now immerse the thing in a solution of 1 (vinegar) to 10 (water). We leave for 1 hour. Rinse again and wash normally. nine0038
You can invent as many ways and means to eliminate unpleasant odors from clothes as you like. But all of them will be meaningless if you do not apply a few preventive measures:
- regular change of clothes, and most importantly, underwear. Especially during hot periods;
- Always wear T-shirts or T-shirts under warm clothes. So the smell remains on them, and there is no need for frequent washing of sweaters, jackets and outerwear;
- in any weather, especially in the heat, try to wear things made from natural fabrics. If this is not possible, choose things with a minimum content of synthetics; nine0038
- showering regularly helps prevent stubborn odors. In summer - 2 times a day, in cool weather and in winter - 1 time a day.
- be sure to use deodorants. If you are against antiperspirants, regular baby powder will do. Pharmaceutical preparations that reduce sweating are also quite effective: various ointments and pastes.