How to do some hip hop dance moves
Hip Hop Dance Moves For Beginners
Learn how to dance hip hop with our hip hop moves. They are perfect for those of you who want to get into hip hop dancing and learn some basic steps. These hip hop dance moves are some of the most popular moves out there and could be used to dance at parties, clubs and any other events.
Hip Hop Dance Tutorial #1: Start With Learning The Basic Rhythm
Hip Hop Dance Tutorial #2: The 2 Step Basic Move (From 5X Hip Hop Course)
Many more moves below this video
More FREE Beginner Hip Hop dance moves
Get Sean's Hip Hop Course:
5X Hip Hip Course For Beginner
Learn basic hip hop moves with 25 step by step video lessons. This course is broken down into 5 modules that focus on different types of moves: Footwork, Upper Body, Waving, Step Touch and Iconic Moves. You will love this 2+ hours of detailed instruction for beginners.
These beginner hip hop dance moves on this page are easy to learn because they teach you one move at a time - as opposed to long, complicated routines.
This way you can use them individually or combine them with other steps however you feel. We recommend that you first pay attention to the footwork and timing of the step and then add your own styling to it only after. These hip hop dance videos are general hip hop steps that are good for adults and kids. They could be used with popular hip hop music in any situation.
Remember that Hip Hop is all about isolating the different body parts so make sure that you understand what body part moves first and in what sequence. Once you mastered these moves you can also check out other related Hip Hop styles like the free style dance lessons, how to break dance, how to dance to dubstep and popping dance moves.
If you are looking to learn other dance styles check out Online dance lessons.
TIPS: How to dance Hip Hop Better
1. It's all about attitude - Remember that Hip Hop dancing is all about "selling" the performance. Commit to each movement and be confident about everything you do.
2. Learn the basics first - the better your basics are, the better you will be able to execute the more intermediate and advanced Hip Hop moves. So don't jump the gun, instead master the fundamentals.
3. Practice, Practice, Practice - You need to hone down your skills as often as possible. Make sure to practice before every class and at your spare time in between classes. The key is to get the steps into your muscle memory.
Interested in other styles?
How to hip hop dance online
How to Ballroom dance videos
Ballet dance moves
How to dance in a club
8 Easy Hip-Hop Dance Moves To Start Learning
Learning hip-hop dance moves opens up a world of experiences. It may seem intimidating to take on new dance styles, but rest assured that hip-hop is accessible to all who want to learn it. Once you’ve finished this article on how to learn hip-hop dance moves, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a hip-hop master.
Why is Hip-Hop Dance So Popular?
Hip-hop is often considered the antithesis of the dance stylings of academies and companies. Hip-hop music was invented by African-American dancers in New York City in the late 1960s, gaining popularity throughout the 1970s. African dance styles heavily inspired hip-hop. They both have moves that involve staying low to the ground and dancing to complex rhythms.
African culture and black Americans also invented jazz dance. While jazz dance and hip-hop often blend, hip-hop differs from jazz by being more fluid with the entire body. Pop dance, on the other hand, draws heavy influence from hip-hop, but tends to be more upright and rigid.
8 Easy Hip-Hop Dance Moves
Hip-hop may look intimidating for beginners, but learning just a handful of basic hip hop dance moves can have you dancing like a pro in no time. Here are some tips on how to do hip-hop dance moves.
Popping and Locking
Popping and locking are multi-step dance move that makes even a beginner look like a professional. First, step with your right foot while putting your left arm up. On the next beat, cross both across your body. Once you pull your limbs in, push out with the opposite arm and leg. Let the wrist of the arm in the air circle and drop, or ‘lock’.
To pop, push your arms out forward and move back, as though you are popping yourself back.
Break dancing is an entire subgenre of hip-hop, if not its genre of dance entirely, but you can learn the basics in six steps. The most basic hip-hop movement is to helicopter the legs around the body while balancing on one arm.
To do this, get low to the ground, palm on the floor. Pedal your legs in a circular pattern, switching arms to let the legs continue to swing around.
The Boogaloo dance, inspired by Latin dances, is an exaggerated walk where the arms are swung wide. Step with one leg, swinging the opposite arm back, then pause for a beat. Step forward with the opposite leg, switch the placement of the arms, and once again pause for a beat.
Walk it back, pivot, then do the same on the other side, creating a V pattern.
Social dance covers a wide array of dances, including the Bennington. This version of the Wop may be difficult for beginners, but it’s possible to learn.
Rock the torso back and forth, keeping hands crossed over the groin. Then switch to swinging the arms back and forth, shifting weight from foot to foot. Kick on beat with the off foot before shifting weight back.
Once you’ve mastered these moves, come visit our studio to learn how to elevate your game. Struggling with any of these techniques? We can help you nail your moves and become an incredible hip-hop dancer.
To understand the mechanism of this iconic dance, you first need to learn the superman dance move. The superman move mimics the iconic pose of the superhero, with arms pushed towards the sky with clenched fists while you bounce back on your heels.
To dance the Soulja Boy, you incorporate the superman with arm cranks while bouncing back and forth on your heels.
The Moonwalk, invented by pop legend Michael Jackson, creates an optical illusion that still amazes decades after its invention. The dancer slides backward on the toes of their shoes while making motions that indicate they are trying to walk forward. This physics-defying dance is sure to dazzle on the dance floor.
The Camel Walk
The Camel Walk is similar to the Moonwalk, except you’re moving forward. Pick up each knee and move forward on the beat, as though you’re a horse (or a camel). Remember to keep your body loose and flow with the movement to get the hip-hop flavor.
The Running Man
The Running Man dance move is one of the simplest on this list. If you’ve ever tried to run in place, you’re already halfway to knowing this move. Run in place, pushing your feet back after they touch the ground. Then you can either swing your arms out on the beat or pull them in.
The Wobble is a perfect example of the fluidity of hip-hop. Lean back and wiggle the shoulders in a modern version of the shimmy. Wobbling looks easy but can take some work to perfect. Take time to learn how to relax enough for the dance to look effortless while maintaining your form.
Body rolls are a hip-hop staple. With this dance move, you remain in place, but undulate your body bit by bit to create a wave motion with your entire body. If you’re going from the bottom up, start with your hips, then back, chest, shoulders, and head. If you’re going top down, go in the opposite order.
How To Start Learning Hip-Hop Dance Moves Quickly
Maybe you’re preparing for an event coming up, like a school dance or a wedding. Maybe you’re just hoping to develop a new skill before the season is over. Whatever the reason, there are plenty of ways to help you learn hip-hop dance moves quickly, whether inside dance studios or out.
Watch Videos Online
If you’re struggling to follow written instructions, then look for videos of people performing the dance moves you want to learn.
Use Mirrors or Record Yourself
Even if you feel confident in your moves, it’s hard to judge your form while dancing. Use mirrors to check that you’re on the right track, or record a video of yourself dancing to watch later.
Nothing improves without practice. If you want to improve your hip-hop dancing, you’ll need to practice them regularly to keep your skills sharp. Join a dance crew to get down with other people like you.
Sign Up For Classes With On One Studios
The best way to learn to dance is to do it in person with professional teachers. At On One Studios, we have beautiful dance studios and experienced instructors ready to guide you to become the best dancer you can be.
Are You Ready to Elevate Your Hip-Hop Dance Moves?
Hip-hop dancing is popular, accessible, and always evolving. If you’re looking to add hip-hop moves to your repertoire, join us for hip-hop choreography dance classes near you that will help you learn hip-hop quickly while having tons of fun.
Basic elements in Hip-Hop (practice)
Exemplary team Dance and sports club AJAX #RedPAntherscrew
Basic elements in Hip-Hop style
Learning the basics. 16 initial movements
Each dance is based on the basic elements on which it is built. The same applies to Hip-Hop
After the student has caught the approximate nature of the movements and understood what he is moving and how, we begin to acquaint him with the base.
Important. The second and third stages take place simultaneously. nine0011 We take 2-3 new movements at each lesson. We disassemble. Adding hands.
At the end - freestyle, to fix all the material.
In this way, we repeat and consolidate the old material and impose new material on it, which allows the student to accumulate knowledge, and not learn new things every time and forget. Every student must know the basics.
Here are 16 basic moves and their variations on the basis of which you can make a combination:
1.Steve Martin 2.Running man 3.Kick 4.Roger Rabbit 5.Alf (March Step) 6.Kriss Kross 7.ShamRock 8.PartyDuke 9.Monestery 10.Bart Simpson 11.Bobby Brown
12.Happy Feet 13.Sponge Bob 14.PartyMachine 15. Atl Stomp 16. Reebok
Hip Hop Basics
Old school (1979 – 1990) Hip Hop Basics old school
- Basic Bounce Combo
- Two step [Tu step] - two steps or step, prefix. The simplest movement found in many hip-hop dances. "One" - a step towards the launch vehicle. "Two" - the second leg is substituted for the PH. The movement is repeated on the other leg. Step stand to the side, forward, diagonally, loop back. nine0028
- Step slide, slide step , Glide , Circle Glide / Turn Glide
- Combination with kick - kick - raise the knee - stand with a body turn. Mandatory accented pumping. We raise the knee and rebound back, without swinging, lifting the leg from the calf muscle.
- Criss cross step on the rise with a jump, cross - initial, add lower back on the sides, knees bent. Add diaphragm and uncomplicated hands. Do not strain your neck and back! nine0028
- Criss Cross Variations
- Humpty Dance Humpty Dance. In this dance, the “Kach” of the pelvic girdle becomes the main one. The dance is performed in the second wide position and the knees must always be bent. Starting position II free position of the legs. "And Raz" - Chris Cross. "I" - the pelvic part of the legs is retracted slightly back. "Two" - So with an accent moves forward. "And Three", "And Four" - "And Two" is repeated. You can add hands, as in the video below, or come up with something of your own. nine0028
- Kick it drink it. Kick [Kik] is one of the most common movements in modern dance. A simple kick in the air. When performing, you must remember about the Groove (Kach). Starting position: I parallel position of the legs. "And" - kick [kick] or kick with the right foot forward. The movement is similar to kicking a soccer ball. The body makes a “pitch” forward. "One" - the right leg returns to its original position. The left leg swings back. The body leans back slightly. "And" - the left foot makes a kick [kick] forward. "Kach" forward. "Two" - similar to the movement to "One", only from the opposite leg. On the next beat, the movement is repeated. nine0007 Kick, Kick + Back jump
- Kick and slide kick and slide. A kick is made with one foot, and then a slide is made with the other.
- Kick & Step - Kick Cross Step
- Kick ball change On I swing, for once swing up, on I swing, 2 steps back and kip up. Hands work in opposition. Back and to the side, back with a twist in the hips, forward, back with a turn and to the side, forward and forward crosswise . Kick out - leg bent to the side, kick, change of leg to the side.
- Party Duke + variations - leg abduction to the side.
- Cabbage patch The name comes from the Cabbage Patch Kids, a toy popular in the 80s and 90s. Usually performed comically. Often accompanied by funny "grimaces". The starting position is free. Hands move in a plane parallel to the floor. Starting from the chest describe a circle. During performance, the shoulders rise. Any steps can be used in the legs. nine0028
- Smurf [Smurf] - movement named after cartoon characters. The knees do a swing with an emphasis down, the body and head with an emphasis forward. Hands in turn move forward, as in swimming. Starting position - free. "One" - one hand begins to "float" forward in a small arc. In the legs, body and head, "kach" begins.
- Prep (Pretty Boys)
- The wop
- Reebok - swing up with shoulder and arm jumping. nine0028
- Happy Feat
- Spongebob -knee to shoulder, jump, straightening the leg to weight
- The Charleston
Middle School elements of high school
- Party Machine - VARIATIONS forward kick, opposite arm strike, rebound, leg and arm lashing variation, side jump and arm variation.
- Running Man : Reverse, With touch. Raise the knees, while descending, the weight of the body between the legs, hands “pump the pump”
- Reject Step
- Shamrock - step sideways outward, back, bouncing legs together, landing. Option back. Option 2
- Steve Martin - forward - backward swing, extension of the bent leg back, knee forward, change, remove the error when turning with the knee to the body back.
- Pepper seed
- BK Bounce (Peter Paul)
- Roger Rabbit : Bobby Brown, Janet Jackson, Henry Link. Video 2
- Janet Jackson
- Bart Simpson
- TLC - Stepy with elbows
- Wu Chung - Hands in terms block
- James Brown
- Biz Markie
- CAT DADDY - Robocop variation 2 variation 3
- Chiken head
- Chicken noodle soup
- Aunt jackie
- Pop, lock & drop it - body twist and lock squat
hip-hop elements different
hip-hop elements for insulation, waves, infants
- 4 Corners -Circular movements of
- TRAVE WAVE Man - kick sideways pelvic rotation
- Neck-o-Flex - head to side, turn
- Ticking - ticking
- Puppet Style - puppet style
- Run It - forward step twists
- Egyptian Twist - legs together, side twist. Egyptian Twist with Step Out . Egyptian Twist with Walk Out
- Camel Walk
- STEP OUT DANCE - Steps in diagonals
- 9000 9000 KID'NPLAY --PLAY
- Dime Stop
- Up An Down Shake
- Hummer Shake
- Add Locking Tricks
- Spin drop
- Kick Drop
- Pin Drop
- Slenergy Extreme Ground Combo
- Easy Floor Combo (Hip Hop Dance Moves Tutorial) | MihranTV
Videos with the basic elements of HIP HOP
Basic movements of Hip-Hop
teaching basic movements and dance features
Hip-hop, like any other dance direction, is best studied in a professional school. After all, only a qualified teacher will find an individual approach to a new student and teach the necessary movements. But if this is not possible, or if you want to come to class prepared, you can try to master the direction of hip-hop at home. How to dance the first movements, now we will tell. nine0003
Like any dance, hip-hop training includes getting acquainted not only with the basic movements of the style, but also with a certain philosophy. And in this direction it is special. Hip-hop came to us in the second half of the last century from the most disadvantaged areas of New York and Los Angeles. Tired of injustice, aggression and blood, teenagers, who mostly did not have the cleanest reputation, invented their own special way to resolve conflicts - with the help of dance battles and rap parties. Hip-hop is a free dance, a challenge to society and a protest against any inequality. That is why the main thing in this style is not at all the clarity of the learned movements, but the sense of rhythm, improvisation and expression of the individuality of the performer. nine0003
Getting Started: Preparation and Basic Movements
Before learning hip-hop for beginners, you should make sure that you feel comfortable doing it. According to experienced dancers, three things will help you relax and start learning:
- Appropriate environment: flat floor, spacious room, full-length mirror.
- Loose clothing and comfortable shoes. Nothing should hinder movement.
- Hip-hop rhythmic music. nine0028
A little ritual will help you tune yourself into the wave of hip-hop: stand with your legs apart, put your hands down and close your eyes. Listen carefully to the sound of the music and try to learn to hear the beat. Rock to the beat. And now you have already mastered the first movement. Congratulations! It's time to move on to more complex elements.
The basic movements of hip-hop are swing and step. You are already familiar with the first one. Now try to put your right foot to the side and stretch your right hand up. Bend your right leg, transferring your body weight to it, and lower your arm to shoulder level. Turn the body to the left, bend the left leg, and put the right leg on the toe. Now lower your right knee, arch your back and reach your hands to the floor. When you manage to complete this combination, consider yourself a good start in hip-hop. nine0003
Sign up for a trial lesson
Here are some more basic hip-hop moves for beginners:
- Starting position - standing, feet shoulder-width apart, and arms along the body. We squeeze the brushes into a fist and alternately bring forward one hand, then the other. Then we connect the legs bent at the knee: left hand - right leg, right leg - left hand.
- Starting position - standing. We jump in place and cross our legs, and bend our arms as if we were rowing.
- Starting position - standing, feet slightly wider than shoulders. We put the right leg a little back, bend the legs at the knees, which at the same time look straight. With the right hand we cover the face, with the left, folded into a fist, we put it in the region of the heart. Then at the same time we tilt our head to the right and unclench the left hand, and after that we turn the right knee and right hand to the right. nine0028
- Starting position - standing, feet firmly pressed to the floor, knees slightly bent. We put the spread fingers of the right hand on the chest, keep the elbow parallel to the floor. We bend in an arc, as if we received a blow right in the heart. Then we make two turns in different directions, straighten our back and return to the starting position. The hand at this time falls from the heart to the waist. At the end, we throw the pelvis forward again, round the back and tighten the buttocks.
You will be able to achieve the first results quite quickly. But when you start to study closely how to dance hip hop, you will soon notice that there are no clear movements and rules in this direction. Having mastered a few basic elements, dancers begin to improvise, create their own combinations and dance, as creative fantasy suggests. nine0003
How to continue: choosing a style
If you have mastered the first movements of hip-hop from videos and photos on the Internet, it's time to choose the direction in which you will develop further. Hip-hop culture is a wide range of dance styles that differ from each other both in elements and in general mood. The main ones are:
- Breakdance is still popular basic style of hip-hop, on which the direction originated.
- Popping - rhythmic contraction of various muscle groups to the music so that it looks like jolts on the performer's body; nine0028
- Wave - smooth and plastic movements of the body, the most famous of which is the wave with hands;
- Afro-jazz - shaking mainly the lower and most prominent part of the body in women;
- Crump - energetic shaking of various limbs to the music so that it seems as if someone has moved into the dancer;
- New Style, also known as freestyle, is an improvisational dance that combines not only hip-hop movements, but also elements borrowed from more than a dozen other dance styles. nine0028
- La Style - hip-hop, where the emphasis is on entertainment, so this style is used mainly in videos and when staging shows.
- Ragga jazz is a dance tuned to the music: the performer's legs work under the drums, and the hands become active during the recitative.
- Locking - an energetic dance with "locks" - freezing in different positions for a few seconds or periodically slowing down the movement.
- Power move - a spectacular style that includes complex acrobatic elements, handstands, various twists, and transitions. nine0028
- C-walk is a “language” dance with a criminal past that emphasizes intense and very dynamic footwork.
Women's and men's hip-hop
The next step in how to learn hip-hop without leaving home is to bring a little femininity or, conversely, brutality into your existing skills - depending on your gender accessories. The thing is that female and male hip-hop are somewhat different from each other, and, therefore, representatives of the beautiful and strong half are trained in this direction in different ways. nine0003
Hip-hop dancing for beginner girls is based on plasticity, flexibility and unobtrusive sexuality. Girls wear baggy sweatpants and hoodies on a par with men, perform sweeping movements, but their execution looks different: hips, legs and shoulders are more involved, the elements are a little smoother and sexier.
Male hip-hop, on the contrary, is more daring, energetic and sometimes even aggressive. The focus is on the work of the arms and body, acrobatic elements and movements that require strength and male endurance. nine0003
If you prefer to learn this difficult direction from videos, it is better to initially choose hip hop training, where the movements will be performed by a dancer of your gender. Together with the right technique, you will be able to capture the gender characteristics of the choreographic elements.
A few more secrets
Learning to dance hip-hop at home, without classes with a professional teacher, is not easy, but real. Especially if you add training with a few more components. Here, as in learning a foreign language, only complete immersion in the culture will help. So, here are some tips from “experienced” hiphopers who have mastered a lot not under the guidance of a qualified mentor, but at home by the mirror:
- Videos with basic exercises will help you master some of the moves, but for advanced skills, it's best to turn to online courses. Hip-hop lessons for beginners are regularly held online, often live.
- Hip-hop parties and get-togethers will help you melt into this culture and make new acquaintances. Yes, of course, everyone will laugh at your first dances, but no one drags you to the center of the circle. While you're learning, watch the pros dance, adopt a style, and memorize some moves to practice at home. nine0028
- Clear training regimen. Only with regular practice can you achieve results. In addition, our body is set to a certain schedule, and if you exercise at a certain time, it will prepare for stress. As experienced dancers note, the optimal duration of even home workouts is two hours. This is enough for warming up, and for the lesson itself, and for stretching after.
- Additional physical activity. If you are in the mood not just for basic hip-hop movements, but for serious hip-hop elements with tricks, strengthening the muscles of the whole body is indispensable. You will need strong arms, strong core muscles, and no extra weight. This can be achieved by exercising in the gym or additional weight training at home. nine0028
- Compliance with safety regulations. Be sure to dance in comfortable non-slip shoes and loose clothing. Do not start training without a proper warm-up, and when practicing acrobatic elements, lay something soft on the floor.
Video tutorials will be enough to learn how to dance hip-hop. But to become a real dancer, you need to study the subculture from the inside. It is believed that a hiphoper has achieved true mastery when he is in perfect control of his body, does not “slow down” on the dance floor, knows how to improvise and select universal movements for any music.
HIP-HOP in the 9000-FILLS, MALES, MADEN buttocks, on the back
Basic landing options. Go downs