How to shake your hips like a belly dancer
The 4 Tips That Will Have You Belly Dancing Like Shakira
Share this article
Have you ever been to a wild party and found yourself standing on the edge of the dancefloor awkwardly clapping along while you watch everyone else dance and go crazy? No? Is that just us?
Well, we’re going to go ahead and pretend that we’re not the only ones who are like this because this article is all about teaching you Fairies how to shake what your mama gave ya.
For those keen on learning how to belly dance and make their way towards the centre of the dance floor, the first rule you need to know is to own your own style. The reality is, if you feel awkward when you dance, then you’ll look it! You need to feel the music and not be afraid to have a little fun.
Having said that there are a few techniques that can help you “fake it till you make it”.
To do a hip lift or shimmy, you need to bend both knees. Then, straighten your right leg, which should raise your right hip, lifting it upward. The hip bone should shoot up towards your rib cage. Make sure to keep your heels flat on the ground as you do the lift and try not to move your upper body at all.
Now, you need to bring your right hip back down and try the same movement on the other side. Just straighten your left leg and raise your left hip upward.
Repeat the hip lift on both sides at a faster pace, while skipping the break in the middle between the two sides. It should look like your hips are lifting on the right and then on the left smoothly and fluidly.
At full speed, your hips will shimmy from side to side at a quick pace, which is known as the “shimmy” move.
Step one, check!
To do a belly roll, first begin with your feet flat on the ground and your upper body lifted, with your arms relaxed at your sides. Now bend your knees.
Next, contract just your upper abdominal muscles, drawing them into your spine. Then, contract just your lower abdominal muscles, drawing them inward. Push out your upper abs and then push out your lower abs.
Keep repeating these movements in a sequence and try to make the contracting in and the pushing out of your abdominal muscles fluid, with no pauses or breaks.
To mix things up a little, add a little hand movement to your routine by mimicking the back and forth motion of a windscreen wiper. Just use your index finger and middle finger on each hand, side by side.
Another popular hand movement to spice up your dance routine is one that sees you mimicking the action of changing the light bulb. Try it a few times in time with the music until you follow the beat.
Cover photo by: @siempreweddings
Posted in Expert Advice by wedded wonderland
Share this article
The Best Crystals for Love, Marriage & Relationships
Join Our Mailing List
Email address *
What is the ‘Shake Your Body Like a Belly Dancer’ song on TikTok?
Why were Corn Flakes invented? TikTok can't believe the real reason
New songs and sounds go viral on TikTok every day and they never fail to get stuck in your head.
Some of the most popular TikTok songs right now are Amaarae and Kali Uchis‘ SAD GIRLZ LUV MONEY, and ACRAZE’s Do It To It.
As with all TikTok songs, you probably don’t recognise the names of either of them, but you’d know them if you heard them.
Another song that’s sweeping through the app this week is ‘Shake Your Body Like a Belly Dancer’.
Well that’s how the lyrics go, but what is the song?
TikTok – Music Colour Trailer
TikTok – Music Colour Trailer
What is the song called?
As you’re scrolling through TikTok there’s one song that plays on repeat and it’s become known as the ‘Shake Your Body Like a Belly Dancer’ song.
That’s because the lyrics go like this…
Hey ladies drop it down
Just want to see you touch the ground
Don’t be shy girl go bananza
Shake ya body like a belly dancer
The song is part of a new viral dance challenge and it’s called Bananza (Belly Dancer) by Akon.
Akon is a Senegalese-American singer, songwriter, record producer, and entrepreneur from New Jersey who shot to fame in 2004 when he released his song Locked Up.
It’s part of this viral challenge
Bananza (Belly Dancer) is hot on TikTok right now as it’s part of the latest viral dance challenge.
It doesn’t really have a name, but the challenge involves belly dancing along to the song.
The track has been used in 807,000 TikTok videos as of December 11th and the belly dancer trend is one of the biggest challenges of the month.
Shake your body like a belly dancer 💃 Habe dieses Lied nur noch auf meiner for you 💗🤯 #bellydance #fürdich #foryou #fyfyfyfy♬ Bananza (Belly Dancer) – puhrplehqze💜
5 impressive Belly Dancer Challenge videos
It might look easy, but belly dancing is actually a pretty hard thing to get right.
People on TikTok have certainly mastered it though and there have been some pretty impressive attempts.
Here are some of them…
For YOU…..👀 #fyp #xyzbca #foryou #bellydancer #4u♬ original sound – nikola
BELLY dancer 💃🏽 #shakeyourbodylikeabellydancer♬ Bananza (Belly Dancer) – puhrplehqze💜
Shake your body like a belly dancer❤️ #xyzbca♬ original sound – ashes
Shake your body like a belly dancer♬ Bananza (Belly Dancer) – puhrplehqze💜
Shake your body like a belly dancer 💃 #fyp #foryoupage #trend #bellydancer♬ Bananza (Belly Dancer) – puhrplehqze💜
In other news, Luke Combs X Crocs 2022 collaboration reselling on eBay for over $200
how to learn to dance Belly Dance at home
Belly dance for beginners: how to learn to dance Belly Dance at home
Mysterious, bewitching belly dance always attracts the attention of the audience. Guria the dancer leads them to an unknown land of unearthly beauty and heavenly delights. Every woman dreams of becoming the same charming for her man. This can be easily learned. After all, there is nothing complicated here - naturalness, emancipation, femininity and a little charm.
- 1 History and Origin of direction
- 2 What is the belly dance
- 3 Types Belly Dance
- 3. 1 Arabic
- 3.2 Turkish
- 3.3 Egyptian
- 4 Lessons for oriental dances
History and origin of the direction
Belly dance is an art as ancient as our human world itself. He came to us from the temple mysteries of India and Egypt, dedicated to the feminine energies of the universe. In the East, it was customary to perform this dance of life at weddings, but only in the female half of the house.
Today this bright, graceful and sensual dance is not only a colorful stage performance, but also one of the types of fitness.
Here are some interesting facts from its history:
- Belly dance can be not only female, but also male. This variety of it was already known in the Ottoman Empire. It still exists in both Turkey and Egypt.
- Stage belly dance appeared at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, when oriental dancers began to demonstrate their art on the stages of Europe and the USA.
- In the middle of the last century, Hollywood drew attention to belly dance, but its interpretation was seriously different from the original. However, professional dancers from the countries of the East supported the idea and included elements of the Western style in their arsenal.
Benefits of belly dancing
Belly dancing has a beneficial effect on the female body. Hip movements, especially shaking, help to relax tight muscles and tone the internal organs.
In fact, this is a kind of massage of the internal organs, which increases blood circulation in the pelvic area.
- This is a wonderful prevention of female diseases, elimination of adhesions, good preparation for childbirth.
- Belly dancing promotes the development of a beautiful and correct posture, prevents diseases of the spine.
- Dance promotes weight loss, helps in the fight against cellulite. The figure will become slimmer, more feminine, unwanted fat folds on the hips will gradually disappear. Since muscle tension in belly dance is combined with relaxation, excessive physical exertion is excluded. They do not always lead to weight loss, they only provoke a stressful state of the body, which can cause exacerbation of chronic diseases.
- Like any dance, this one makes the dancer breathe more actively, enriching the blood with oxygen. This trains the cardiovascular system and respiratory system.
- Pleasant smooth movements, the pleasure that the dancer receives from her creativity, enhance the mood. Gradually, psychological stress, insomnia disappear, the woman begins to feel calm, balanced. Self-confidence and own charm come.
- A woman acquires a flying gait, beautiful and precise gestures, grace. And not only on stage, but also in real life. The body begins to obey better and becomes flexible.
All this allows you to reveal your inner potential, to feel your feminine energy, to learn how to manage it.
However, belly dancing has its own contraindications:
- cholecystitis, especially if there are stones in the bile ducts;
- tumor processes;
- inflammation of the ovaries, cysts, fibroids;
- serious diseases of the spine, such as herniated discs, fissures of the vertebrae;
- chronic bronchitis;
- serious kidney disease and urolithiasis;
If you have varicose veins and chronic heart disease, you should consult your doctor before starting exercise.
Types of Belly dance
Any dance direction is divided into certain types or styles. Belly dance is no exception, which has two main currents - classical dance and folk.
The classical style, in turn, is divided into different types, there are more than fifty of them. In total, there are 8 main schools of belly dance, not counting the smaller ones: Egyptian, Turkish, Jordanian, Pakistani, Aden, Thai, Bhutanese and Botswana.
Belly dance, which is most widespread all over the world, is the work of the Turkish and Egyptian schools.
However, each dancer brings something individual and unique to her art. Even within the framework of some of the traditional schools, she can fantasize from the heart, supplement it. Usually dancers do not adhere to strict stylistic frameworks. The main thing is to express your own feelings in dance movements and get a vivid audience response.
The classical Arabic style can showcase the kind of dance performed by the women of Saudi Arabia. However, the art of professional dancers is prohibited in this country. Sharia law does not allow such liberties. Therefore, women have fun expressing themselves in dance exclusively in their own half of the house. Arabic belly dance can only be performed for female guests and members of the household. This is, in general, a bright mixture of oriental dance techniques with a characteristic movement of the arms and hips. It is complemented by beautiful waves of long hair.
Among other schools that can be attributed to the Arabic style, one can single out the Persian-Iranian direction. It is seriously different from the traditional belly dance of the women of Arabia. Here the dancers demonstrate a sliding step, characteristic movements of the hips and chest. Also coordinated waving of arms and head with flying long hair. In general, the dance is performed very feminine and neat.
A variety of Turkish belly dance, it is bright, cheerful and lively. Here the emphasis is on the smooth movement of the arms and a special technique performed by the hips, which is called the “deep drop”.
Accompaniment is very important in Turkish belly dance as the musicians work with the dancer in pairs. The main musical instrument in this case is a special kind of drums.
This is a colorful dance where the emphasis is on the movement of the hips. It is performed in a relaxed way, the dancer seems to be floating on the stage, demonstrating confidence in her own female irresistibility. The musical accompaniment is orchestral, using a bright rhythm of drums. This style is characterized by a very clear setting of the hands, simple combinations of their movements. Shaking and beautiful penetrations are also used.
Lessons for beginners
You can try to start at home. Take advantage of video tutorials that are easy to find on the Internet. Before the start of the lesson, you should let go of the problems of today, forget about worries for a while, and devote the next half hour or hour only to yourself.
This dance is like meditation, you need to tune in to it, focus on pleasant sensations. Feel your whole body, communicate with it, merge your soul with a beautiful melody.
Here is a small step-by-step instruction:
- First you need to remember and reproduce the simplest movements, which are basic. Music for belly dancing should be slow. Try to get on the beat. Only the legs, hips and arms should be involved. All other parts of the body must be kept static, motionless.
- Easy to master hip movements. It is necessary to put the hands on the belt and spread the elbows. Put your feet shoulder width apart. Slightly bend your knees. Then try to raise and lower each hip in turn, while you can not move your shoulders. They must stay in line. Feet should also not be raised, the soles should constantly touch the floor. At first, the movements are performed very slowly, then their frequency is gradually increased, leading to shaking. After mastering this simple movement, you can proceed to a more complex one - try the rotation of the hips, “draw” a figure eight in the air. The combination of two mastered movements already gives rise to a beautiful dance.
- Hands should be involved in the dance only after the movement of the hips is well mastered. They can be lifted and spread apart. The main thing is to learn how to act in concert with both hands and the lower body. To do this, remember the rule - when the right thigh rises, then the hands should move to the left and vice versa. At the same time, the hands perform beautiful circular movements.
Belly dancing for beginners is not too difficult. The main thing here is to master the basics so well that you can easily build a clear drawing from them. Only after that you can move on and take on more complex ligaments and movements.
Where to buy oriental dance costumes
Belly dance clothes should emphasize every movement of the dancer. She draws the attention of the audience to the dance gesture, either wrapping around her body, or flying apart like wings.
A successful suit is 50% of success, because it favorably highlights all the advantages of the figure and hides the flaws.
- Skirts come in a variety of styles - straight, with slits or a fish silhouette. Wide, flared "sun" or "semi-sun". The waist can be either high or low.
- Wide harem pants, usually choose a low fit, can be with slits on the sides and must be gathered at the ankles.
- Bodice - open, fitted, embroidered with shiny fittings - beads, sequins, sequins, rhinestones. It should fit very tightly to the body, form a beautiful bust shape. Fringe is also used, both short and long, sometimes hiding the belly.
- Shoes are not required, the belly dance is usually performed barefoot. However, its modern versions, at times, can be decorated with beautiful high-heeled shoes.
Traditionally, the abdomen remains free, open. There are such types of dance in which this part of the body is covered with a veil. Sometimes the whole dress is also sewn.
One of the important elements of the costume is a scarf or belt embroidered with sparkling coins, sometimes with a long fringe. The scarf is tied tightly, and the belt is sewn on the basis of an elastic band so that it sits on the hips without moving out. The scarf is triangular or rectangular, more like a scarf. The movement of the hips causes the jingle of coins. They crumble, sparkle and draw attention to one or another dance technique.
The fabrics from which the suit is sewn should be light, bright, and flying. They complement the pattern of the dance, visually enhance the range of movements of the dancer. Therefore, they must be chosen very carefully.
Various attributes are also used during the performance - canes, candelabra, numerous bracelets assembled in a cascade, fans, saber. All these items give special significance to the dance being performed. The saber, for example, is a symbol of a woman's rebelliousness.
A novice dancer does not need a luxurious costume to practice. She needs tight-fitting leggings so that you can clearly see the movement of the hips and knees. You will need a comfortable bodice, a bra that does not restrict movement, does not interfere with proper breathing. If the floor in the rehearsal room is covered with a carpet, then you can dance just in socks. When a special coating is not provided, you need to purchase lightweight soft shoes with non-slip soles.
A scarf or belt with coins is not necessary during training. You can do without it.
Oriental dance stage costumes can be purchased online from well-known Chinese online stores. Specialized ateliers also sew belly dance clothes to order. Almost every such studio has its own representation on the World Wide Web.
Of course, you can try to sew a costume for belly dance yourself, but only if you have good patterns and patterns. Otherwise, you can only spoil the fabric, because it is not easy to create a stage costume on your own. Even if the dance is beautiful and the skill of the performer is at its best, a bad costume can spoil the impression.
Abdomen Sports & Fitness
Dances that help train the legs, buttocks and thighs
Some types of dances allow you to train the buttocks, legs, hips and other areas, almost without noticing it. A great way to have fun and keep your body in shape at the same time.
Last updated: June 01, 2019
Exercise, in any of its manifestations, is not only a healthy habit, but also a good way to keep your body in shape. Sometimes this is not easy for us, and ordinary exercises reduce our motivation to continue exercising. In this case, it is worth considering an alternative such as dancing .
This is the best way to strengthen muscles without even paying attention to it.
What's more, dancing is fun, ideal for stress relief, meeting new people in real life (not virtual).
Today we will tell you about several types of dances that help to train the legs, buttocks and thighs especially effectively. Get ready and let's get started.
If you want to strengthen your legs, buttocks and thighs, devote your time to dancing
Dancing is an amazing activity that benefits our entire body.
Especially their “effect” is noticeable on the legs, which we simply have no time to do due to a sedentary lifestyle.
It happens that by the end of the working day our legs are very tired, swollen, sore or, as they say, “buzz”.
It should be borne in mind that when we dance, endorphins are produced in our body . This means that we not only train and keep our muscles in shape, but also cheer ourselves up. We forget about worries, relieve stress and feel truly happy.
There are many types of dances. You can choose for yourself the one that suits you best, which suits your tastes and musical preferences.
You can dance alone or with a partner, at home, in the hall or on the dance floor - the place is also up to you.
For our part, we recommend the following 5 dances that help strengthen the legs, buttocks and thighs .
See also: Swollen feet: home remedies that will definitely help you
Which dances should I choose?
If you want to burn calories, salsa is the perfect way to exercise . Thanks to the fast rhythm of changing movements, you will perfectly strengthen the buttocks, thighs and calves.
And this is not the only advantage of this combination of Afro-Caribbean sounds and movements.
Salsa also allows :
- Slimmer waist
- Improve posture, flexibility and coordination
- Strengthen the torso and arms
During salsa training, your blood circulation is maximized, which greatly reduces the risk of cardiovascular problems.
2. Tap dance
Tap dance, or tap dance, is an American dance style characterized by very rhythmic footwork.
It arose as a result of the fusion of clog dances, which were practiced in Ireland, Scotland and the north of England, as well as their subsequent combination with African American dances.
Step involves a serious aerobic exercise. It not only helps to burn fat, but also saturates the cells of the body with oxygen. In addition, by constantly beating the rhythm with your heels, you will get:
- calf work
- quadriceps and buttocks strengthening
- improving body balance
You may not be Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers, but your body will benefit greatly from this practice.
This is interesting: This tea will help get rid of fat in the abdomen!
There is another very rhythmic type of dance, originally from Spain, which develops coordination, flexibility and strength of the muscles of the body.
Flamenco is a combination of music and dance so typical of Andalusia, Extremadura and Murcia. This is another good example of aerobic exercises that help train and keep your legs and buttocks in shape.
In addition, thanks to flamenco:
- Hips and stomach muscles are trained
- Excess toxins are eliminated from the body (through sweating)
- You burn more calories and thus fight excess weight
- Improve your coordination with castanets, fans and shawls
Argentine tango is the music and dance that represents this country. The movements characteristic of tango will also be an excellent exercise for leg muscle training . Another "broken" tango steps are very useful for strengthening muscles:
In addition, Tango improves posture and body balance, shapes the waist and trains the obliques.